Nutrients - What nutrients ?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing nitrate and phosphate is easier than adding and IMO too many people with new tanks are scared of 'uglies' and start dosing to try to avoid bottoming out, only ensuring they get a nice difficult case of GHA instead of dino that goes away on it's own. I'm a firm believer that nitrate and phosphate at 0 is perfectly fine. The key to a healthy long term reef isn't dosing something or the perfect water change schedule or the best lights; it's letting the eco system work. That includes algae. That's why I think the single best piece of equipment for long term success is a refugium. Mine is absolutely packed with chaeto and GHA and the constant break down of old algae is what provides the coral with the nutrients it needs while I continue to measure 0.
Resized_20230717_125442.jpeg

I agree, my refugium is packed! Always zero in test

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had issues with gha overgrowing chaeto and choking it out. Any advice?
Maybe harvest the GHA? In my experience the GHA never actually grows on the chaeto, just on the walls around it. Not sure what kind of super-gha you might have.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do find it very interesting that so many SPS packed tanks back in the 2000’s kept undetectable N and P, and had incredible growth, color, and no Dino’s. I ran a neglected 60 gal. SPS reef back in ~2006, and it was one of the easiest/ most successful systems I ever had. I honestly think you could pin it down to the indopacific live rock we filled our tanks with back in the day. The perfect ratios of the right bacteria and other microfaunal life.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do find it very interesting that so many SPS packed tanks back in the 2000’s kept undetectable N and P, and had incredible growth, color, and no Dino’s. I ran a neglected 60 gal. SPS reef back in ~2006, and it was one of the easiest/ most successful systems I ever had. I honestly think you could pin it down to the indopacific live rock we filled our tanks with back in the day. The perfect ratios of the right bacteria and other microfaunal life.
Out of curiosity, I don’t know the answer. What was the test kit low end resolution in 2000? For PO4 did they measure down to 0.01/0.02 etc… For NO3 did they go down to 0.1/0.2 etc..
Just curious.

I my opinion live rock makes difference. Unfortunately some of us only have access to dry rock.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I have a boat load of GHA in my refugium. Because it has not traveled to the main tank (or is very well controlled by my CUC in there) I have let it grow assuming it would serve the same purpose as growing macro like chaeto. Recently my phos and N03 are off the charts high. Skimmer is working diligently, I've been dosing with micorbacter7 daily, regular water changes biweekly of 20%. All other parameters are perfectly in line, and fish and corals seem plenty happy. That said I dont want this to get out of hand. Could the GHA be contributing? Perhaps its time for a sump cleaning and restart with Chaeto?

Thanks!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back