Nyos Quantum Help

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just upgraded my tank from a 43 gallon tank to a 90 gallon tank (including sump volume). I also got a used Nyos quantum 160 to replace my Bubble Magus Curve 5. The Quantum keeps overflowing with bubbles and I can’t figure out how to fix it. Part of the problem is I don’t understand which way to turn the main tube to adjust the water level. Is it possible that the bio load is just too low right now? I only have 2 clowns and a firefish at the moment. Any advice/assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start by rotating the whole main tube and not the fine adjuster to where the hole at the bottom meets the skimmer body. Make sure the fine adjuster is rotated all the way to the top. Open the air intake screw open maybe 1 or 2 rotations from all the way closed. That setting is lowest water level with highest aeration (which also lowers water level). Adjust the main tube by twisting it until you raise it significantly, it might be close to the top of the letters or not. Then raise it more with the fine adjuster. When you're satisfied with that, you can adjust the air intake and fine adjuster to your skim preference (wet/dry). Keep in mind, less air, higher height, less bubbles.

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feedback here is fine to follow, but I'll give you my experience which may help.
This skimmer (my only ever) took me a while to get dialed in because my tank was too clean. After water changes it'd overflow and then I'd dial it down and it'd do nothing. Eventually my tank got dirty enough (6 months maybe?) that it now works perfect and I'm extremely happy with it.

My advice- while you are tinkering around, open up the drain tube at the bottom of the cup in case it overflows and look multiple times a day to see how the foam is forming around the top. When you think it looks accurate, then plug the drain tube and see how it reacts.

Now that my tank is dirty enough and the skimmer is broken in, I never touch it and it does a fantastic job.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the NYOS 120 and it’s difficult to dial in. Get the bubbles to rise to the bottom of the skimmer cup and leave alone. You will find that the skimmer produces nothing most of the time but will produce skimmate about 25% of the time and most of that is during the night.

I really believe that you are better off with a DC skimmer. I upgraded to a

Elite 150SSS 6" Super Space Saver Cone Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus​

Back