Ocellaris Clownfish have spawned, now I'm trying to figure out if I can save them

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish... Still sitting on a few hundred bicinctus and they are pooping up the water faster that I can change it...
Could you send them off to a reef somewhere to be released? Seems like an interesting idea if it’s not being done now... un sold tropical fish released into wild.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you send them off to a reef somewhere to be released? Seems like an interesting idea if it’s not being done now... un sold tropical fish released into wild.
Very, very bad idea!
You don't want just dump captive bred fish somewhere in the ocean to become an invasive species.
You wouldn't even want to do it in their native range to not pollute the wild gene pool.

Fish you can't sell are either sold as feeder fish to keepers of predators or have to be otherwise culled.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon enough the ocean will be so thin with life the idea will make more sense.
Yes, but fish and corals for wild releases have to come from strictly controlled breeding programs, not just any hobby breeder.
Now, my parent pair is wild-caught and I know where they came from. But that is rather the exception, not the norm.
As of now I don't know of any conservation oriented breeding programs for reef fis. And certainly nothing international like it exists for Killifish.

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I wish I could take a few off your hands but I’m in a nano currently waiting to move in July to start larger tank. If you have a website or contact info dm me.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back