Brian S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - thanks for looking!

Octopus Regal 150 SSS vs INT

I was thinking I wanted the Int for the convenience of servicing the pump; space isn't a concern. However, my lfs is offering the space saving model at a good price.

Any sss users out there willing to share their experiences? Especially with maintenance.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - thanks for looking!

I was thinking I wanted the Int for the convenience of servicing the pump; space isn't a concern. However, my lfs is offering the space saving model at a good price.

Any sss users out there willing to share their experiences? Especially with maintenance.
I'd expect the space saving model to perform similarly but with a harder to access and service pump. I have the 150 INT and have had it for 6-7 years and got it used. Works like a dream to this day.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the sss model was cheaper than the regular regal, I would opt for the regular int version any day if theres no space constraints.
Not having to take out the whole skimmer and reassemble it just to clean a pump is an extremely worth while time and headache saver

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - thanks for looking!

Can't go wrong with a 150INT. Still pulling sludge at probably a decade old
1000005438.jpg

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 110sss that Ive run for almost 7 years and pull the whole unit out and clean it every couple months. It isn’t that hard to take apart (pull the Venturi off and the pump comes right out) and it gives me an excuse to clean the bubble chamber. Having said that I will probably go with an external DC controlled pump my next time around as it will be on a 350g system so a lot bigger unit so pulling the skimmer apart to get to the pump doesn’t seem as easy. I don’t have experience with the 150sss so it may already be too big to easily clean like the 110sss.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back