Odd ball question about float switches autotopoff.com and BoB

joeboots82520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'll try my best to explain this......I have two separate systems both running ATO with autotopoff.com double switch setups (Picture here) http://autotopoff.com/Double/ds01.jpg
My question, is it possible to use the top float switch wired in parallel from the relay box from ATO.com AND to the break out box? I want to use it as a high sump level switch for an AWC system on both tanks as a safety instead of having to add an extra float switches since I already have them in place. Any suggestions or ideas? I don't know if it will cause some sort of backfeed issue from the signal voltage.

They way I have it configured right now is the ato.com relay is plugged into an outlet on my apex and using an OSC code it powers up the ATO curcuit for 2 and a half minutes per hour and if the lower float switch is active it tops off. I did this as a precaution in case the float jams up it can't top off indefinitely.

Again any input would be appreciated

dysfam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want to have redundant way make sure the ATO does not flood the house when the water reaches a certain level in the sump and the AutotopOff.com relay box is not cutting the power to the pump?

If your relay box is "stuck on"....It might give your BoB the wrong reading...I don't think it will cause damage to the apex but it might not give you the correct float switch value.

I have not seen a relay box from AutoTopOff.com fail so I don't know how it behaves. I have seen a float switch fail with stuck on many times (specially the cheap ebay types).

I would use an extra $5-$7 float switch for a piece of mind. I always use 2 float switches (2 of low level for the same purpose and wire them serially....just in case 1 gives in. And retest them once in a while like annually :)

OP
OP
joeboots82520

joeboots82520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the top float never even gets used with my top off it is there as a kill switch for the top off pump if the bottom float gets stuck on. I just figured that I could use it for a High level warning for the auto water change I'm setting up. Your right though redundancy can't hurt I have 4 Madison switches on order from BRS guess I will be using them all.

dysfam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
autotopoff.com has pretty good float switches, but you see the bottom only has 1 float switch...I rather have 2 down there :) and 1 or 2 up there is OK!!!!
Yea the top float never even gets used with my top off it is there as a kill switch for the top off pump if the bottom float gets stuck on. I just figured that I could use it for a High level warning for the auto water change I'm setting up. Your right though redundancy can't hurt I have 4 Madison switches on order from BRS guess I will be using them all.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back