Odd growth on my goby's mouth. Bacterial?

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Today I noticed an odd growth on my harbor goby's mouth. I have gone through several threads, including the disease identification thread. I think this looks similar to pictures of bacterial growth I have seen but I'm not sure. As you can see from the pictures, it looks like something that disappears periodically. I have no idea where it goes. These pictures were taken only a min apart. It seems there may also be a hole in the center of it's lower jaw. Appreciate any help identifying and treatment recommendations.

PXL_20230627_001419952.jpg PXL_20230627_001510700~2.jpg PXL_20230627_001631951.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear photos, thanks!

The first photo looks like an injury. The second photo seems to have a growth or skin tag coming off of it.

If this showed up suddenly, and did not grow larger over time, I would say it is an injury. The question is though, can it heal on its own, or has it gotten infected? I can’t answer that - but try feeding the fish. If it eats well, this is probably a superficial injury.

Jay

OP
OP
thewedge

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear photos, thanks!

The first photo looks like an injury. The second photo seems to have a growth or skin tag coming off of it.

If this showed up suddenly, and did not grow larger over time, I would say it is an injury. The question is though, can it heal on its own, or has it gotten infected? I can’t answer that - but try feeding the fish. If it eats well, this is probably a superficial injury.

Jay
Thanks for your response! He usually just sifts sand, which I noticed he was doing less of, but still doing it. I added some nori, but the lights are going down and he usually hides for the night. I will keep an eye on it. I have a fish trap and can spin up a qt if needed. Ironically, I've had a love/hate relationship with this guy. He definitely helps keep the sand clean. But he also sprays sand everywhere. and my tank often looks like it got snowed on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like injury leaving a skin tag/hanging flesh . Are you using fine sand or Coarse sand? Coarse can cause this

OP
OP
thewedge

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to check back in and say that it looks like the goby is doing fine and it must have been some sort of injury. I appreciate the replies!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back