off topic..blosom end rot, tomatoes

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some homemade remedies using egg shells..I have a bag of calcium carbonate,I use for diy snow..Can I mix some calcium carbonate with some vinegar to make calcium acetate? for my tomato plants. Somehow you add a small amount of this calcium acetate to a gallon of water, to spray on the leaves and to water the tomatoes..Any suggestion

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some homemade remedies using egg shells..I have a bag of calcium carbonate,I use for diy snow..Can I mix some calcium carbonate with some vinegar to make calcium acetate? for my tomato plants. Somehow you add a small amount of this calcium acetate to a gallon of water, to spray on the leaves and to water the tomatoes..Any suggestion

Yes.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usual dosage is 5-10ml/gallon but I’ve got as high as 30ml/gallon before without any ill effects.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why over complicate it.
Just get and use calmag on your tomatoes.
Guess what’s inside a lot of calmag supplements….

You guessed it… calcium acetate

It’s not over complicating anything, it’s just using what they have on hand rather than buying something new

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These zoa names are just getting silly

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usual dosage is 5-10ml/gallon but I’ve got as high as 30ml/gallon before without any ill effects.
Thanks for the info- Is there a certain amount of carbonate to vinegar I should start with to get the acetate?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info- Is there a certain amount of carbonate to vinegar I should start with to get the acetate?
no, not really. roughly 10:1, but it depends.... every recipe ive ever found has said that you just slowly add the vinegar to the eggshells. when you see the bubbling stop (reaction has stopped) try adding a little more vinegar and see if it starts bubbling again. When it no longer makes any new bubbles it has reached saturation point. Now, at this point, you would strain out the remaining eggshells and it would be ready for use.

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the egg shells, I was going to use this, because I have a bag of it I use for DIY marine snow. But I don't know the ratio of this to vinegar, then add to 1 gal of water.
FGcc5_4081_S.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the egg shells, I was going to use this, because I have a bag of it I use for DIY marine snow. But I don't know the ratio of this to vinegar, then add to 1 gal of water.
FGcc5_4081_S.jpg
It doesn’t matter that it’s not egg shells
Calcium carbonate is calcium carbonate.

Just start with roughly 10:1 ratio of cal-carb to vinegar and go from there based on how much it bubbles

The bubbles are the reaction between the vinegar (acetic acid) and the calcium carbonate producing calcium acetate and co2 (the bubbles)

When the bubbles stop the reaction has finished.

Once you have your calcium acetate it’s roughly 5-10ml per gallon of water and then used as a foliar spray

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t matter that it’s not egg shells
Calcium carbonate is calcium carbonate.

Just start with roughly 10:1 ratio of cal-carb to vinegar and go from there based on how much it bubbles

The bubbles are the reaction between the vinegar (acetic acid) and the calcium carbonate producing calcium acetate and co2 (the bubbles)

When the bubbles stop the reaction has finished.

Once you have your calcium acetate it’s roughly 5-10ml per gallon of water and then used as a foliar spray
Thank you so much. just started my tomato seeds. and 4 people I talked to around here all had this problem, the last few years..last year I made sure my plants never dryed out. that seemed to help some.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. just started my tomato seeds. and 4 people I talked to around here all had this problem, the last few years..last year I made sure my plants never dryed out. that seemed to help some.
For a hot second I saw Erie Pa and even with all the mild winters I wondered how you are getting tomatoes already :anguished-face: … heck did the lake even freeze this year?
Btw, usually if the tomatoes get end rot, then so do the peppers…

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blossom end rot is a weird issue for sure as its caused my multiple factors.we get it some years, and other years we dont. we try and supplement alot of calcium, which does seem to help, as it helps bolster the plants cell walls, but one of the other causes of it is from overwatering. Some summers we will get rain for like a week straight and all the tomatoes hate it, its too wet for them. I havnt figured out how to solve that issue yet other than getting a greenhouse (which is cost prohibitive for us).
For a hot second I saw Erie Pa and even with all the mild winters I wondered how you are getting tomatoes already :anguished-face: … heck did the lake even freeze this year?
We start our tomatoes and peppers inside in early March so that they are big enough to be transplanted outside come mid-april (zone 7b here)
Tomatoes are our main garden crop with being outside philly and an italian family. Last year we pulled something like 30lbs of tomatoes. Still have some in the freezer to make sauce.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you also tried aerated worm compost tea? There's even recipes for adding the calcium supplement to it. That way your applying both the calcium and good microbes. While not 100% effective (as with all natural remedies) giving good bacteria and mycorrhizae the chance to occupy the space before the bad ones could help.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you also tried aerated worm compost tea? There's even recipes for adding the calcium supplement to it. That way your applying both the calcium and good microbes. While not 100% effective (as with all natural remedies) giving good bacteria and mycorrhizae the chance to occupy the space before the bad ones could help.
while that may be good for the soil, it wont really do anything for blossom end rot, as its not really a bacterial thing. but compost teas usually are good and wont hurt anything.

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the lake didn't freeze, the ice fishermen had about 5 days on the bay side. I start my seeds under my LED fish tank lights, on the glass lid. Its warm and bright and the lights are allready on timers

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no tea, but I do fertilize thru out the growing season

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start my seeds under my LED fish tank lights, on the glass lid. Its warm and bright and the lights are allready on timers
hahahaha thats awesome.

all my tomatoes are already in 2Gal pots and about 8"-12" tall at the moment.

Got 4 varieties of Roma, Mortgage Lifter (beefsteak variety), Persimmon (orange tomato), Rutgers, Heinz, Cherry, Beefsteak, and Oxheart tomatoes this year. And then have Thai Hots, and Dragon Cayennes for peppers

looking forward to an orange batch of tomato sauce from the persimmon variety (they are BRIGHT ORANGE) :grinning-face-with-sweat:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%

Back