OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s actually pretty high , try to get it lower 70-73, corals actually do better in cooler waters , bleaching in all corals is caused by warm water.
Also I don't think it's always caused by warm water. I had a Lobophyllia that I kept at the same temp as everything else that completely bleached after a month. There were four burrowing clams in this 3 polyp colony, one which was still alive

Though the temp lately has been a bit high for me (75.8) so I lowered it back to my usual 75, should be corrected by tommorow morning

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other corals do you keep besides Wilsoni at those temps?
Alot of coral, specifically LPS, like colder Temps (though in my case 73 is pretty cold) my pectinia loves lower temps, the one i have only shows full polyp extension at around 75, and if i remember correctly so do lobophylliids and I think dendrophyllia (sun coral and relatives)

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other corals do you keep besides Wilsoni at those temps?
Alot of coral, specifically LPS, like colder Temps (though in my case 73 is pretty cold) my pectinia loves lower temps, the one i have only shows full polyp extension at around 75, and if i remember correctly so do lobophylliids and I think dendrophyllia (sun coral and relatives)
My corals living at a comfortable 75.5
20231127_230238.jpg

20231127_230235.jpg
20231127_230241.jpg
20231127_230232.jpg

I have no photographs of the pectinia at 76 but it isn't this happy

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefkeepers Archive interesting. Maybe I’ll have to slowly start dropping my temp. All I keep are LPS corals 3 leathers and a hammer.
As a quick FYI, do at your own risk. Corals get acclimated to different environments and if they are showing good polyp extension and growth than there is no need to try to fix something that dosent need fixing

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dissolved Nutrients are probably too low , maybe consider getting a few non aggressive fish , mandarin goby or a few chromis
Here's a photo
20231127_230251.jpg

It's just really weird for me, it's only on this side and I'm pretty sure it isn't light as other spots on this coral (that get almost no light) show no recession. Maybe it was just always there? My other idea is that there is a vermited or flow difference or amphipods irritating it (there are hundreds of amphipods running around the dark side on this coral) affecting this particular spot. Though you can see that the coral is regularly feeding

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe any reef tank/ fish tank over 50 gallons needs a heater , unless you live in the an area of the world where temperature reach in the negatives it’s unnecessary. The ambient temperature of your house should regulate the tank water.

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo
20231127_230251.jpg

It's just really weird for me, it's only on this side and I'm pretty sure it isn't light as other spots on this coral (that get almost no light) show no recession. Maybe it was just always there? My other idea is that there is a vermited or flow difference or amphipods irritating it (there are hundreds of amphipods running around the dark side on this coral) affecting this particular spot. Though you can see that the coral is regularly feeding
That looks like stress before the piece got to you , the ones I have lost did the same thing as the picture above it’s hard to save once they start doing this. Could be bacteria related as well, I know things tend to go south faster when the water is warmer.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like stress before the piece got to you , the ones I have lost did the same thing as the picture above it’s hard to save once they start doing this. Could be bacteria related as well, I know things tend to go south faster when the water is warmer.
I just cooled the tank to 75 exact and the pectinia and wilsoni has been showing much better PE

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good, go slow we sometimes forget how sensitive these animals are. Buy some pods and add to the tank try to diversify the microbial life forms cut back on the powdered foods.
I have more than enough pods, also have isopods, amphipods, bristleworms and live mysis! I don't feed powdered foods. Appreciate your help but I'm honestly not too concerned about this as the coral looks otherwise very healthy

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more than enough pods, also have isopods, amphipods, bristleworms and live mysis! I don't feed powdered foods. Appreciate your help but I'm honestly not too concerned about this as the coral looks otherwise very healthy
Well I was just more taking about the microbe diversity of your tank , I noticed the rocks in your photos and they look basically new. Amphipods will eat your corals if they don’t have a food source.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was just more taking about the microbe diversity of your tank , I noticed the rocks in your photos and they look basically new. Amphipods will eat your corals if they don’t have a food source.
That would make sense. The last few weeks I didn't feed the corals or the tank to lower po4, which is around when I noticed it. The rocks look new as the majority of the rockwork is shaded, though the tank is 9 months old and I have coraline growing

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about it the amphipods are ravenous, if I ever drop a piece of mysis during spotfeeding the amphipods will grab it even though it's may times their size

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would make sense. The last few weeks I didn't feed the corals or the tank to lower po4, which is around when I noticed it. The rocks look new as the majority of the rockwork is shaded, though the tank is 9 months old and I have coraline growing
Wait a few hours after the lights go off and I bet you’ll see the pods and worms eating away at the edges

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back