Old school RedSea Max 250 hood dead

kjhoskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a Max-c250 for 13 years and the hood has just failed :-( It still gets power as the timer still moves but there is no moon lights, lights or fans. sooooooooooo I'm planning on taking the hood off and taking a look inside to see if there's anything obviously that has failed but parts are thin on the ground even if I can locate the issue so I'm going to need some new lights.

It is pretty much fish only, I have some hitchhiker zoa's but that's is, so would 2*redsea LED50's do the job I don't really want to go for 2*90s as they're pretty expensive. Or any other options for some suitable lights.

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
steve's leds makes a "drop in" retro fit led for that, but they are honestly priced ridiculously expensive in this day and age.

marineandreef.com has been a great, reliable source for OEM rsm250 parts for me over the years with excellent customer service.

OP
OP
K

kjhoskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
steve's leds makes a "drop in" retro fit led for that, but they are honestly priced ridiculously expensive in this day and age.

marineandreef.com has been a great, reliable source for OEM rsm250 parts for me over the years with excellent customer service.
yeah I would like to get it working if possible. Just need to get the hood off and take it apart and see if hteres anything obvious thats failed

OP
OP
K

kjhoskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on adding coral? If not, your lights will be fine
no its fish only with just a few Zoa's that hitch hiked in to the tank. If I can't fix the hood I'll look at 2*redsea LED50's rather than 2*LED90's it'll be quite a bit cheaper

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a Max-c250 for 13 years and the hood has just failed :-( It still gets power as the timer still moves but there is no moon lights, lights or fans. sooooooooooo I'm planning on taking the hood off and taking a look inside to see if there's anything obviously that has failed but parts are thin on the ground even if I can locate the issue so I'm going to need some new lights.

you probably already know and checked, but in case you didn't it occurred to me that there is a fuse for the hood located in the compartment with the timer. if you lost all power beyond the timer, it would be worth checking the fuse before you take the hood off etc. its in a little round plastic piece that's not easy to see on mine unless you are looking for it.

as for taking the hood apart, i've done that. i got mine second hand with steve's leds already installed, so i haven't taken apart a factory assembled one. you might be able to find some intstructions on disassembly on the steve's leds website somewhere that would help.

beyond that, you should be able to trace the power into and through the hood and with the help of a multimeter, you can probably isolate any trouble spots. good luck!

OP
OP
K

kjhoskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah fuse was first thing I checked and hoped it was that! Really not looking forward to taking it a part going to be a job for this weekend :eek:(

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back