Old Tank W/Clear Brace - Add More?

buzzfin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this older 100 gal tank with clear brace in the middle. Was able to save the fake wood grain trim which will get repainted. About to reseal all inside seams. Center brace is on very solid but wondering if I should add a 3 inch euro style brace along each end to add some additional reinforcement. The top frame appears to only be there to support the old style lights and doesn't do much to hold the glass. Thoughts?

IMG_0669.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That center brace is enough. I f you want to remove it and put in “euro bracing” edges that would be a bit of work but the only thing I would do If I was going to brace the top.

The plastic is also an edge protector. Striking the edge of a glass panel is an easy way to crack/ break the glass.

OP
OP
B

buzzfin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That center brace is enough. I f you want to remove it and put in “euro bracing” edges that would be a bit of work but the only thing I would do If I was going to brace the top.

The plastic is also an edge protector. Striking the edge of a glass panel is an easy way to crack/ break the glass.
Ok, thanks. Any concerns with the fact that there's no cross brace on the bottom? The original plastic frame on the bottom is long gone, so I'm going to fabricate a new one with painted aluminum angle. I don't think it ever had any cross brace on the bottom though.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 151 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 52 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back