OMG, just ordered my Red Sea Reefer 200 Max G2!

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to read other experiences of people with this model. as this is quite exhilarating that I have ordered this I am quite excited, though I know I have a long road ahead of me. My local aquarium shop (LAS) sold me the Max G2 system. I went in asking about whether I should just make the upgrades along the way and purchase the deluxe model as it would be less painful up front in the pocketbook. But, he pointed out some key features of the Max system that are not available on the Deluxe, whether not this is true and I couldn't upgrade I am not sure. I am not sure the retailer advising me knew in his head all the different things that Max system comes with compared to the $200)0 deluxe model, and I paid $3300, but he did point out that it has the Wi-Fi sensor to alert me if there is ever a problem, which is not on the deluxe model; and the Max model has the pull out console. I just took his word for it, buy once and cry once. But of course, I have a long road ahead in terms of setup. I gave this whole project a great deal of thought. I was contemplating the Biocube 32. But what sold me on the Max 200 is I believe it will be easier to maintain than a bio-cube IE the cube has no roller. This will have 20 more gallons of water than a bio-cube but I think with all of implanted and integrated filtration and plumbing hardware and engineered and how the G2 is compartmentalized that G2 Max ultimately it will be easier to maintain.

So I am advised it will take about two weeks to get to me. Actually it is going to the LAS and I will hire some guys from there to bring it to me. This LAS allows some of their employees to work freelance like that. Anyway what should I do now guys? I know I will need a heater and a vessel for the evaporation pump. The biggest thing that concerned me was how often I will have to perform water changes, as that is a lot of work. I do not want to have to go to the LAS every week. Then it occurred to me I can store water in my garage. Since this system has this 500 protein skimmer would that not mean that I will have to ultimately make fewer water changes? I mean, with all that expensive and sophisticated equipment one would expect less hassle like that. but then I do understand water will be evaporating and thus the need for replacement salt water.

Well, I have not decided on what the setup will be exactly, and what is my list of things I need to start buying in preparation for this beast. Salt water of course. a heater.. Live rock. Sand. I would be a couple months out before adding species. but I really would love to know what sort of environment I might consider creating in a 42 gallon tank which I know is small by salt water standards. I thin from what I have seen, soft coral species seem prettier. I would love a star fish and some sea horses. I know a tang is not going to be in the cards. Or could I eventually foster a tang? I know there are some tangs that grow slower than others and I would imagine the LAS would re-home when it becomes too large. How many total fish could I get ? like six? Any advise, experiences appreciated.

Also, what is recommended to get to measure the various levels of everything? Is there an all in one tester, or will I need several different testers.

Last edited:

cehawley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just picked up my system today!!! I want to follow along as well. We are going to slow roll establishing the tank given upcoming travel plans, etc.

When you do pick up from the LAS, make sure you have three boxes. We came home with two. Luckily, the store is only about a 15 minute drive from home, and they promised a bit of store credit for our trouble.

And I just saw you are in San Diego too. That's pretty awesome.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just picked up my system today!!! I want to follow along as well. We are going to slow roll establishing the tank given upcoming travel plans, etc.

When you do pick up from the LAS, make sure you have three boxes. We came home with two. Luckily, the store is only about a 15 minute drive from home, and they promised a bit of store credit for our trouble.

And I just saw you are in San Diego too. That's pretty awesome.

Interesting I also have travel plans -- supposed to go on vacation in late March for a couple weeks to Europe (now that San Diego has a direct flight to London). So certainty no species until after that. My daughter will be home though hopefully she can do whateer needs to be done when I am gone.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested in chiming in with your experience, I am of course first thinking about the sand and the live rock. I was of course being a newb, looking into sea horses. but no where have I found encouragement for that species. I guess they need cooler water, more water changes, are not able to compete with other fish for food, and whatever else.

I also, reading the "Supreme Guide " post stickie on this forum, have read that I will want about 42 Lbs. of Live rock. Should it be dry rock? I will need to inspect it before introducing it in the environment? Does live rock get put in way after the tank has cultivated, or before? Well, I will read on the Guide and get these answers hopefully. Also ChatGPT4 gives me some info, though of course I would corroborate whatever info I get from that. Anyway it occurred to me, that if I have 40 Lbs. of live rock, and how much and whatever type of sand, then of course it is that much less water I need to add into the tank. Not sure how that calculates. Water is 8.3 Lbs. per gallon, but what volume will the rock take? IE, is the rock must be lighter than the water. So 40 Lbs. of live rock maybe means 4 less gallons of salt water. How much volume will the sand take up, to detract from the water volume?

These are the questions a newb asks so far. And of course which soft or hard corals frags I will want to get, and which fish to with

But is sounds regardless of how novel or attractive the idea of sea horses, they wont work. Or, what if that were the exclusive type of fish? IE, I had a coral and sea horse reef tank? Thought processes a work in progress. Maybe there is a fish that will live with a sea horse. But then again, I would really be happy if I could get a small starfish n the tank. Then again, I think there are a handful or less of starfish species that would live in a 42 gallon tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back