Once Cycle is almost done, what order of next items to add?

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 7 days IN on an anticipated 15 day cycle and I'm currently wondering when to add the following POST cycle:

• Clean Up Crew
  • Pods
Right now it's Live Sand and Marco Rocks and I'm doing Dr. Tim's Fishless Cycle (estimating 15 day instead of 9 due to no LIVE ROCK).

I'm afraid if I add one or the other too soon there won't be enough "food" for them but I want them early on to help add bio-diversity and to possibly help cutdown on algae issues etc.

I'm a big fan or Reef Cleaners for their Clean Up Crew but they don't offer "micro brittle stars" etc and I want to add them as they are a robust part of a diverse CUC. Any suggestions since I have (nor do I plan) no Live Rock to get hitchhikers? Who else offers a diverse and robust CUC? I'm located in the southeastern USA ( western North Carolina to be specific).

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my recent tank, I added pods first after cycling. I fed phyto and a few pellets daily. After a few weeks the tank was swarming with pods since there were no predators/competitors. I don't know if this is the 'right' way to do it, but it made sense to me. Then when I started adding fish and corals I added a few 'scavenger' cleanup crew-hermits, nassarius, etc. I still haven't added many of the 'algae-eating' snails as there is not much for them to eat yet. I'm also trying to avoid adding a cleanup crew that mostly starves.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods and clean up crew both need something to eat. You're weeks away from that point yet. Add both once algae becomes something substantial.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add pods and phyto in when the cycle is done. I would tell you in case you’re completely new the days don’t matter just test to check for ammonia and nitrates.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 7 days IN on an anticipated 15 day cycle and I'm currently wondering when to add the following POST cycle:

• Clean Up Crew
  • Pods
Right now it's Live Sand and Marco Rocks and I'm doing Dr. Tim's Fishless Cycle (estimating 15 day instead of 9 due to no LIVE ROCK).

I'm afraid if I add one or the other too soon there won't be enough "food" for them but I want them early on to help add bio-diversity and to possibly help cutdown on algae issues etc.

I'm a big fan or Reef Cleaners for their Clean Up Crew but they don't offer "micro brittle stars" etc and I want to add them as they are a robust part of a diverse CUC. Any suggestions since I have (nor do I plan) no Live Rock to get hitchhikers? Who else offers a diverse and robust CUC? I'm located in the southeastern USA ( western North Carolina to be specific).
After the tank is processing ammonia, turn on the lights. Once you start seeing algae, add pods and other cuc members - a "diverse and robust cuc" is a great goal, but be sure not to add the cuc too fast or they'll starve...
As for the cool hitchhikers like brittle stars, I can almost guarantee that some will come in on frags once you start adding coral. Personally I have a crap ton of brittles in my tank and regularly give them away... You might have a fellow hobbyist in your area that does the same ;)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back