OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
See, that's exactly what I was hoping for! Very, very pleased it worked out well for you- that's fantastic! Once I am back from working away in about a month I will give it a go with three tanks and let you all know how it's working out for me!

Interesting that your lines are not the same length - although if the lines are all full of water and all the air purged, it shouldn't matter much with a good dosing pump like the DOS!

Thanks for bringing us along!!
I’m glad to feel like I’m helping for once and not just asking silly questions! It worked way better than I thought it would, but I agree- the DOS should be able to handle whatever we throw at it for that price. I don’t know if this would even be possible without converting to the murlok fittings. Those things rock! I hope you have a quick month and get back safe…definitely post your results.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad to feel like I’m helping for once and not just asking silly questions! It worked way better than I thought it would, but I agree- the DOS should be able to handle whatever we throw at it for that price. I don’t know if this would even be possible without converting to the murlok fittings. Those things rock! I hope you have a quick month and get back safe…definitely post your results.
I am running AWC just fine on one tank without the fittings. I have ordered some to replace with the jammed on RO tubing that I use just now though :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am running AWC just fine on one tank without the fittings. I have ordered some to replace with the jammed on RO tubing that I use just now though :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Nice…I am sure u already have it figured out but just in case anyone else reads through this at some point- the fittings to convert DOS from soft tubing to (rigid) RO tubing: 1/4” x 1/8” nptf Mur Lok fittings (x4) the fittings used for converting the DOS to handle wc’s on two tanks: 1/4” x 1/4” x 1/4” tube divider, or splitter, or whatever you want to call it (x2) and 1/4” ball valve (x4) …all these fittings are Mur Lok (type) push fittings

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice…I am sure u already have it figured out but just in case anyone else reads through this at some point- the fittings to convert DOS from soft tubing to (rigid) RO tubing: 1/4” x 1/8” nptf Mur Lok fittings (x4) the fittings used for converting the DOS to handle wc’s on two tanks: 1/4” x 1/4” x 1/4” tube divider, or splitter, or whatever you want to call it (x2) and 1/4” ball valve (x4) …all these fittings are Mur Lok (type) push fittings
Not to mention a lot of 1/4” elbows (4 per tank/ 2 per line)

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to throw this out there, but wouldnt you be able to use the neptune 1/4" solenoids in place of the ball valves and automate the whole thing?

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just going to throw this out there, but wouldnt you be able to use the neptune 1/4" solenoids in place of the ball valves and automate the whole thing?
I was wondering the same thing…I doubt there’s a product out there that people are willing to buy but Neptune doesn’t make. I will definitely make that upgrade down the road…I just want to see how this works before I go all in!

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a question for the Apex nerds…if anyone sees this- if I programmed the DOS to change 3 gallons per day, and decided I didn’t want to change any water for a number of days, could I just leave the ball valves closed for both tanks? Meaning the DOS would be trying to pump water but wouldn’t be able to, due to the valves being closed. Would this burn up the pumps or cause the calibration to go out of whack? The reason I’m even thinking this is it seems like it would be easier to have it changing more water than I need vs exactly what I need. The later is relying on me to not miss a beat and change water on one tank for half the week, then the other tank for the other half of the week…where if I’m changing more than I need, I only need to worry about opening the valves when I want to change some water. Idk it makes sense to me…hopefully someone can answer this for me!

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for the Apex nerds…if anyone sees this- if I programmed the DOS to change 3 gallons per day, and decided I didn’t want to change any water for a number of days, could I just leave the ball valves closed for both tanks? Meaning the DOS would be trying to pump water but wouldn’t be able to, due to the valves being closed. Would this burn up the pumps or cause the calibration to go out of whack? The reason I’m even thinking this is it seems like it would be easier to have it changing more water than I need vs exactly what I need. The later is relying on me to not miss a beat and change water on one tank for half the week, then the other tank for the other half of the week…where if I’m changing more than I need, I only need to worry about opening the valves when I want to change some water. Idk it makes sense to me…hopefully someone can answer this for me!
1. The pressure caused by the DOS will cause a leak in the plumbing due to a crazy pressure buildup.
2. After reading this, I still don’t know how it is better than just turning off your DOS via apex?

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. The pressure caused by the DOS will cause a leak in the plumbing due to a crazy pressure buildup.
2. After reading this, I still don’t know how it is better than just turning off your DOS via apex?
I’m doing AWC on two tanks with one DOS. Call me crazy but I would rather have to just turn a few valves than dealing with a bunch of programming.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m doing AWC on two tanks with one DOS. Call me crazy but I would rather have to just turn a few valves than dealing with a bunch of programming.
Thanks for replying though. It seems like what I was asking wouldn’t work, just looking for other opinions / suggestions

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying though. It seems like what I was asking wouldn’t work, just looking for other opinions / suggestions
No you just turn off the outlet manually, like you would for any apex device. No programming required to turn it off. Just click the button.

I was answering this.
“decided I didn’t want to change any water for a number of days, could I just leave the ball valves closed for both tanks? ”

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No you just turn off the outlet manually, like you would for any apex device. No programming required to turn it off. Just click the button.

I was answering this.
“decided I didn’t want to change any water for a number of days, could I just leave the ball valves closed for both tanks? ”
Ahhh…I’ma little slow most of the time. So if I click the button on the DOS it will turn the unit off? Will the light change colors to indicate the status? It may be obvious but I usually don’t read manuals

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I was answering this.
This may be why you are a valuable member and I’m a well known member. Haha

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be why you are a valuable member and I’m a well known member. Haha
IMG_3714.jpeg

it is in your Apex UI, where you set up your AWC schedule initially. You can just toggle it like any other outlet. For example I needed to turn off the alk dosing. It’s can be done on your phone or a computer. Presumably you have a phone app. You just click it auto or off.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going okay with your project? I am about to set up a similar design but with three tanks :upside-down-face:

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still going okay with your project? I am about to set up a similar design but with three tanks :upside-down-face:
Sorry I didn’t see your message till now…so far it’s been working with no issues. I basically doubled the AWC amount by two and I do my best to flip the valves every few days. Definitely worth the effort! Have u made it back to dry land?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t see your message till now…so far it’s been working with no issues. I basically doubled the AWC amount by two and I do my best to flip the valves every few days. Definitely worth the effort! Have u made it back to dry land?
I am actually about to commission my setup with Ecotech Versa instead because I had them! The only thing i am doing different initially is to try out with different lengths of (primes!) tubing.

Lets see how it goes :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing this for many years it works just fine. I use litermeter pumps but the concept is the same. I change our yhe Murdock valves every few years as the suction on the litermeters is pretty strong

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back