Opinions on Longnose Butterflies vs Copperband Butterflies

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I've never kept a CBB, my experience with longnose butterflies has been thus far positive. I initially bought a mated pair that had been at my LFS for three weeks, they were eating frozen brine and were both fat and happy. Sadly, the suspected female died the day after introduction due to some unknown disease (no spots, just dead overnight), and the suspected male seemed to mourn for a few days before he started eating again. About a month ago, I had an Ich surge in the tank and, surprisingly, this butterfly has stuck it out like a total champ. He eats anything I throw in the tank, and always watches me when my hands are in the tank. Almost got him to eat from my fingers yesterday!
I've seen net zero nipping at my corals, however my fluffiest LPS is Caulastrea which seems to not taste great. I've also got millies, a small-polyp goni and two super fluffy plates that he completely ignores. Hopefully when I get him a new mate, she doesn't start any bad habits!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's like 7 inch approximately now. The CBB thinks its his partner or mom. They get along great. Margin Coralfish are more aggressive I would say and will become a boss of the tank. They have a lot of personality for a fish. Mine loves to smash clams on rocks.
I had possession of one however the tank was in its ammonia phase (The plan was to do a water change and lower it then do a fish in tank cycle) but me being stupid forgetting winter in the UK can be rather harsh especially at night thought the house could hear the bucket up enough to keep the fish alive in the night. I was unfortunately wrong and lost it the next day… That was my biggest loss in money, I wish I had done the water change that night and added the fish in after. I wound up with a CBB and I can’t remember why, I think it was something to do with the Marginalis they had in being too big (Although I’m pretty sure it was the same size as the one that had died a few months in the past).
I would love a 6’ tank for a marginalis - I’m at the point where the last fish I can add has to be 3-4” max and I have planned for a rare wrasse (Xenojulis margaritaceus) so, maybe if the CBB dies off in the future I’ll try another marginalis.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I've never kept a CBB, my experience with longnose butterflies has been thus far positive. I initially bought a mated pair that had been at my LFS for three weeks, they were eating frozen brine and were both fat and happy. Sadly, the suspected female died the day after introduction due to some unknown disease (no spots, just dead overnight), and the suspected male seemed to mourn for a few days before he started eating again. About a month ago, I had an Ich surge in the tank and, surprisingly, this butterfly has stuck it out like a total champ. He eats anything I throw in the tank, and always watches me when my hands are in the tank. Almost got him to eat from my fingers yesterday!
I've seen net zero nipping at my corals, however my fluffiest LPS is Caulastrea which seems to not taste great. I've also got millies, a small-polyp goni and two super fluffy plates that he completely ignores. Hopefully when I get him a new mate, she doesn't start any bad habits!
I love a longnose butterfly. I haven't found one that eats yet. Its great to know your coral are safe with a LNB

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a longnose butterfly. I haven't found one that eats yet. Its great to know your coral are safe with a LNB
I've really never seen a butterflyfish of any kind not eat right away. I've had Moorish Idols strike for a couple of days, but I still have never encountered a butterfly or tang that would not go after seafood counter black mussels or littleneck clams on half shell. Then transition to PE Mysis + Hikari Nori pellets + Nori Sheets with clams/mussels as treats.

I'm upgrading to a 265 gallon tank so will adding in another yellow long nose butterfly and copperband. Will post pictures down the line. Right now I have margined coral + CBB and 2 ylnb. Will add another MI. Butterflys are my favorite for sure.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Longnose Butterflies, 1 large and 1 small, a 7 inch Margined Coralfish, and a CBB all in the same tank with 3 tangs and a Moorish Idol. Its not hard. They're peaceful fish and will get a pecking order established.
how big is your current tank?
what corals are you able to keep with your lnb and cbb?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never did either at the same time, but I did have good luck with a longnose butterfly. It began eating immediately, unfortunately it just dropped dead after 6 months. No symptoms @ all. I can't keep a CBB alive to save my life. Been through 3 of them so far. They will eat at the LFS and come home and bam immediate hunger strike.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Longnose Butterfly all the way... I currently have a pair and they're my favorite fish, next to my Moorish Idol of course. So beautiful.

Stock list for 90 gal + 30 gal sump:

Blue Tang
Purple Tang
Foxface
Flame Angel Trio
Harlequin Tusk
Longnose Butteryfly Pair
Moorish Idol
Cleaner Wrasse
Flame Hawk
Mexican Blue Spotted Jawfish
Blue Throat Trigger
Humu Trigger
Clown Pair
Redheaded Solon Wrasse
wow, I’d like to see a picture of that tank!

Back