Orange Spotted Filefish

bluedevils6653

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went to work this morning and turned on the lights and noticed these dark brown spots on my orange spotted file fish. Ive had her for a few years now she eats brine mysis rods lrs and just recently got her almost eating nls. i havent noticed anything out of the ordinary with her this past week. I noticed it this morning but she was swimming fine and I couldnt do anything with me having to go to work so I get back this evening and she is on the sand bed passed away with a couple hermit crabs on her. I attached a couple pics of her that shows the brown spots on her sides. Just curious if anyone had experienced this before or has had anything similar happen to them. Before anyone says osff are doomed and what not she has been with me for almost 3 years and eats pretty much anything I throw in the tank and has been healthy. She was housed with a couple cleaner, shrimp fire shrimp, a "super male" lineatus fairy wrasse, and a candy basslet and everyone else is perfectly fine. Ill test my parameters again in the morning but i test every monday and as of monday my ammonia nitrates were at 0 as of red sea test kits, alk 8.5 cal 420 and mag 1350. ive been in the hobby for 10 plus years but have never seen this happen before so i figured i would ask to see if anyone had any insight on the situation. thanks
Orange Spotted Filefish.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could she have gotten stung by a nem or coral (LPS sweeper)? It looks like physical damage which might have gotten infected.

Also, I think I see some tiny white dots (ich or velvet) on her. Or is that just sand/debris?

OP
OP
bluedevils6653

bluedevils6653

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could she have gotten stung by a nem or coral (LPS sweeper)? It looks like physical damage which might have gotten infected.

Also, I think I see some tiny white dots (ich or velvet) on her. Or is that just sand/debris?

its just some sand that was still on her while I was taking the pictures. I found her dead on the sand bed. I do have some euphyllia (hammers, frogspawns, torches) so I guess thats a possibility because it does look like physical damage.

vadajo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it went from healthy to dead in one day? Sorry for being blunt, I've had mine now for 4 years and he has developed bloat. Started about 2-3 days ago. Its not looking good.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 67 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back