Orbit Marine LED reviews?

s550

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has/had experience with the Current Orbit Marine LED(any length). I will be getting a 72" tank 125g and need a decent light that wont cost an arm and leg. This seems to be the best compromise between price, coverage, controllability and reliability. Any light spectrum charts would also be a bonus.

RemoteOrbit-MarineProControllerBoxArt.jpg

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Using them for about 4 years. If you want a super basic light set up this is decent but the controller on this unit is the major down fall. Not user friendly and I'm on my third box. If you customize the timing schedule to your desired settings and the power goes out, those setting are lost.

It's decent for a start up but be warned that the metal brace/support arms will rust and that rust can eventually start leaking into your tank (from rust flakes). All 3 of mine did and battling my most recent one that was replaced now.

The Pro version might be a better option though I don't have experience. Once this one goes, I'm moving on to another brand for sure. I need something I can control easier and more reliable. Search the forum for Chinese LED bars and boxes too. IMHO there's a lot better options today. Also note I have a 90G with once Marine orbit. I added a dual T-5 light from ATI and I've now added another dual T-5 light just to keep my corals from stretching and giving much better growth. So, now I'm running 4 ATI T-5's and my Marine orbit. You'll end up doing the same in time especially with a 125, or just start with something stronger and save you some headache and aggravation down the road. I'm on a tight budget myself and wish I just got a few Chinese LED Black boxes to start, lots if happy users in here and they provide more than enough light with smart apps and very easily controlled. If you get the M.O. wipe down the braces with a damp cloth and dry daily or weekly at best to prevent the rust. It's just a matter of time when it'll start

OP
OP
s550

s550

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are these Chinese LED black boxes? Could you give me some place to start?

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pro is the way to go as well as the new ic loop

OP
OP
s550

s550

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the mars does link together. no timer though correct they only adjust with the knobs on the back? I find something I like but one issue arises and squanders it. the orbit seems nice for the price but I will likely need two and they don't work together.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://sbreeflights.com/
look at the wifi. youll need 2 32's
the older orbit in the pic is underpowered. the newer ones have little lenses and are fine. Ive not had issues w losing my programming after unplugging(change batteries in controller), it does drift oddly on occasion.

James Johnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to lighting you get what you pay for, if your looking for a cheap light for fish only they will do great however they are not enough for anything but low light corals to do well in that size tank.

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the pro version on a pico. Was growing lps and softies like crazy. SPS did alright. Took down the tank due to a move but I love the light.

OP
OP
s550

s550

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this light in yesterday. I havent had a chance to get it up yet, but the selling point was that is had the built in time and one cord vs the mars aqua has 2 cords and no timer if i remember correctly. Will post pictures if interested when i get it hung.

Let us know how the setup went!

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using them for about 4 years. If you want a super basic light set up this is decent but the controller on this unit is the major down fall. Not user friendly and I'm on my third box. If you customize the timing schedule to your desired settings and the power goes out, those setting are lost.

It's decent for a start up but be warned that the metal brace/support arms will rust and that rust can eventually start leaking into your tank (from rust flakes). All 3 of mine did and battling my most recent one that was replaced now.

The Pro version might be a better option though I don't have experience. Once this one goes, I'm moving on to another brand for sure. I need something I can control easier and more reliable. Search the forum for Chinese LED bars and boxes too. IMHO there's a lot better options today. Also note I have a 90G with once Marine orbit. I added a dual T-5 light from ATI and I've now added another dual T-5 light just to keep my corals from stretching and giving much better growth. So, now I'm running 4 ATI T-5's and my Marine orbit. You'll end up doing the same in time especially with a 125, or just start with something stronger and save you some headache and aggravation down the road. I'm on a tight budget myself and wish I just got a few Chinese LED Black boxes to start, lots if happy users in here and they provide more than enough light with smart apps and very easily controlled. If you get the M.O. wipe down the braces with a damp cloth and dry daily or weekly at best to prevent the rust. It's just a matter of time when it'll start

I'm wondering if applying aquatic silicon to the legs might prevent rust? What do you think?

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how the setup went!
GetAttachmentThumbnail

I have since raised the light up a bit to try and offset the "spot light" look which it really isn't as bad in person as the picture looks. Im happy enough so far with it the timers were easy enough to set along with intensity levels, now just need some live stock ;-)

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just put the new IC Loop 32-inch on my daughter's Fowler tank we are setting up. We also got the wave pumps that go with it. I was going to do the return pump but was hearing about some inconsistencies so I held off. So far I am seriously impressed with this setup. Cloud / storm effects are much better than my Radion. The controller we are still trying to work out but we are getting there. I would have to give it one and a half thumbs up only because we haven't figured out all the news and outs of the control.

F.Q

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 tank. And have this light smaller version. Had it for about 6 months. It will grow everything except zoa. It will keep it alive but they will not grow. My hammer split, Duncan has multiple heads, everything doing great and looks great. The light was cheap and it fit my budget. For the price it's right. I don't have the rust issue on mine but will see with time. I keep mine on t5 coral grow option. As far as the sps coral I got a t5 light just to keep them happy and growing. Good luck.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back