ordering fish from an LFS ??

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e not ordered any livestock before & want to go thru my LFS. Jason says he will order fish for me.
So how does this work? ' Is there an extra fee? Does one usually pay up front ? Am I obligated to take the fish even if they don't look so hot? I realize he needs to make a profit however is there "usually " some guarantee? I assume he can always sell the fish but don't want to tick him off either.
Should I wait for him to acclimate the fish so I can get a good look at them or take them straight home & do it myself ? This would be less stressful this way. I want 6 anthias all in one batch. Lots of stuff I don't know yet. Thanks for any opinoins.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your lfs and some other things. If you have a big lfs that frequently does large orders, you might not have to pay upfront or be obligated to take the fish at all. But if it's a fish that you have never seen before at your lfs, then it's probably something that they wouldn't normally get if you hadn't requested it. So in that case I would probably say you are obligated to take it as long as it looks healthy. But it really is situational.
If it were me I would probably offer a deposit and ask how much they would like, and take the fish straight from the wholesaler bags. I would also probably order like 10 anthias just in case.

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Depends on your store.. My guy orders and keeps them a couple of weeks. Gives me time to check it for disease and make sure its eating well.

Paying up front vs When it arrives depends on the fish. If its a common one, then he just gets them in. If its a special order, or something not everyone wants (like a clownfish or yellow tang) then I pay up front.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each lfs is different, and mostly it comes down to your relationship with the lfs. I've had a few different lfs order fish for me, they know I'm not wishy washy and do spend alot of money, so they always gave me the option to pass. They also know I'm pretty picky and demanding, so they made sure the fish was ordered properly with size and condition. If I can I will take it in the bag to limit stress and the complications of multiple acclimations. I've also had to take them after they had been acclimated, but I only do business with lfs that keep their fish at proper reef conditions or fish only no lower than 1.020 sg.; so acclimation to my tanks were seamless. You should always have the option to pass, but also be aware that if you order online it can be a crapshoot, so consider that as well.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Everyone. I plan talking to the guy but wanted some insight 1st before I walked into something. He did agree to get fish for me but we didn't talk specifics. I think some anthias would be a good start . He's had these fish before & I have been a good customer ( spent a lotta $) over the years. Plus I have 100$ gift certificate also ! Thanks for the insight just wanted to be sure I didn't miss something before.

Will_04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the LFS in NE Florida charge a 100% markup on what they pay for the fish. Some time this is a lot higher than online vendors other times it is lower. Depends on the season and the type of fish.

Normally when Jason orders fish for you he assumes all the risk and he doesn't make you pay up front. There are a lot of fish he refuses to order so if he offered you should be ok.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Man, So You know him also. That's good news !

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As was stated above, it's all about relationship.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No DSC this shop, "OPA" is in Orange Park. We are just south of Jax Fl.
Thanks jsker, all I can do is ask right? I have traded fish & frags with him in the past. Also a group of anthias isn't too much to ask I would think & a good way to start. It's not like I'm asking for a Left Handed Frog Fish .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back