Out of control

BKLYN651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Monti, Leather,and Candy Cane are growing so large that I think its killing off my other corals. I lost 2 Scolymia and my acan, elegance and others and not receiving direct light. Can I break apart the monti and candy cane and move to bottom? And suggestions? Thanks
image.jpg
A9ECD507-602D-4886-9DF4-0D07A1822E58.jpeg
A1D86ABB-1C1D-43DC-867D-F151646EB0A0.jpeg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely break off pieces of the monti easily and sell the frags to your LFS. Not sure what to do about the leather as I've never had one. That's an awesome candy cane and I wish mine would grow that big. I'm following this to see if anyone can teach you (us) how to frag that puppy

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely can frag the candy cane! Just clip it with a pair of bone cutters at the branch. I usually cut at where the branch attaches to the main stem or another branch. Kind of like pruning a tree...

By the looks of it, you should be able to cut several 4-6 head pieces and still have a large colony.

The leather is another issue. You'll have to pull it and cut with scissors or razor around the edge. Here's a link to a good thread on how to do it...

HTH!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely can frag the candy cane! Just clip it with a pair of bone cutters at the branch. I usually cut at where the branch attaches to the main stem or another branch. Kind of like pruning a tree...

By the looks of it, you should be able to cut several 4-6 head pieces and still have a large colony.

The leather is another issue. You'll have to pull it and cut with scissors or razor around the edge. Here's a link to a good thread on how to do it...

HTH!
For the candy cane frags that you cut off, can you just glue the cut site directly onto a plug? Thx!

OP
OP
BKLYN651

BKLYN651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think I’ll leave the Leather alone and just work on the Monti and Candy Cane. Will post pics next week.
image.jpg
image.jpg

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 break the candy cane apart at the stress.
The leather toadstool you turn it over and cut around the crown top part in a circular motion.
Than chop that up with siccors into squares or smaller pieces and attach to some rock or plugs with fish line.
The scroll coral yes you can break off chips of it. .
D

OP
OP
BKLYN651

BKLYN651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a bubble tip anemone. Due to UPS delivery it will be in their hands for 5 days. Can an anemone handle being boxed that long?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back