Outdoor sump?

brianhama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been struggling to add a sump to my tank because my tank is built into the wall and the largest sump I can fit below is about 40 gallons, which is too small for my tank. Even at that size, it’s super tight and a pain to work with. I’m considering putting some sort of bulkheads through the exterior wall of my home and putting the sump outside. I was thinking I could build some sort of insulated shed for it. I live in California and so freezing isn’t really an issue, but maybe heat could be in the summers. Has anyone tried this? Anything I should be aware of before I go about implanting this idea?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been struggling to add a sump to my tank because my tank is built into the wall and the largest sump I can fit below is about 40 gallons, which is too small for my tank. Even at that size, it’s super tight and a pain to work with. I’m considering putting some sort of bulkheads through the exterior wall of my home and putting the sump outside. I was thinking I could build some sort of insulated shed for it. I live in California and so freezing isn’t really an issue, but maybe heat could be in the summers. Has anyone tried this? Anything I should be aware of before I go about implanting this idea?

Elevated temps may be an issue and create the need for a chiller. I would think a sump enclosed in an outdoor shed would get very warm.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people do this..in fact I will be doing this also this summer.

OP
OP
brianhama

brianhama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elevated temps may be an issue and create the need for a chiller. I would think a sump enclosed in an outdoor shed would get very warm.
You’re right, heat might be a real issue. It wouldn’t be in direct sunlight, but summers here can get up to 110 degrees. And it would be inside an insulated closed container with equipment running so likely even hotter. Do you think a fan-type chiller would be sufficient? Or would this setup require alternative water cooling of some sort?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
invest in a 1hp chiller.....alos, theres another hobbyist who buried a bunch of piping from tank to sump 12" or so under his lawn.....kept his water temp consistent at 72 or so....

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what I will be doing as far as insulation:

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I will be using;;;
1708130866916.png

Moeller Marine Livewells 042284-W​

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right, heat might be a real issue. It wouldn’t be in direct sunlight, but summers here can get up to 110 degrees. And it would be inside an insulated closed container with equipment running so likely even hotter. Do you think a fan-type chiller would be sufficient? Or would this setup require alternative water cooling of some sort?

For $99 bucks, you can install a window AC.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking I could build some sort of insulated shed for it. I live in California and so freezing isn’t really an issue, but maybe heat could be in the summers. Has anyone tried this?

I live in Pismo beach. I built a shed where my equipment is.
Here's my thread on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back