Over skimming B-M curve A5

Jeff Nellist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to this forum , I have just purchased a BM curve A5 dc skimmer which I thought would be perfect for my E/Aqua 900s which has now been running just over 6 months, the tank has settled down nice.
When I first added the skimmer it would not skim for more than 2hrs at a time without shutting down and the green light on the power supply was flashing, so I stripped it down cleaned it and put it back in the sump which it immediately overflowed the collection cup with foam.
It now runs continuous but I cannot put the collection cup on as it forces the lid off even at the lowest setting, the skimmer is at the right depth of 20cm, I haven’t used no treatments, I am not dosing, I don’t overfeed and all my parameters are normal
Anyone got any ideas , I have a video I can send but it’s too large to post
Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! Not familiar with that skimmer but I’m sure someone will chime in..

B5D1313C-99F7-416F-AEC4-CC19F284EEDF.gif

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising it made it worse? I have the regular Curve 5 and ended up building a stand out of pvc for it. I tried to run it at the recommended depth and had the same problem you’re having. I raised it about 2” and it works perfect.

That was my experience as well which is why I too suggested raising it.

OP
OP
Jeff Nellist

Jeff Nellist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my experience as well which is why I too suggested raising it.
It’s mad I have tried from the recommended depth every half inch till the pump is hunting for water and it just gets worse as you go higher, it’s as though they have put the wrong size pump in it.(But they haven’t)
Looks like it will have to go back if it cannot be sorted !!

OP
OP
Jeff Nellist

Jeff Nellist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATTENTION ALL BUBBLE MAGUS A5 owners
Having problems with it over skimming then look no further
At the base of the skimmer where the wire goes through a grommet look at the way the grommet goes pull it out and turn it over so the flat side is Upwards YES that’s it !! I cannot believe a simple thing like that could cure such a big problem
My new skimmer is working great now

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the base of the skimmer where the wire goes through a grommet look at the way the grommet goes pull it out and turn it over so the flat side is Upwards YES that’s it !! I cannot believe a simple thing like that could cure such a big problem

Hey...that's awesome. And look what you've done for the community - a PSA for all BMA5 owners! Glad you go it figured. out.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeff Nellist - Would you mind if I changed the thread title to say "Over Skimming B-M Curve A5 - A Possible Solution"? I'd like to add that last part so when people do a search, they may find your thread here a huge help.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fantastic!!! Glad you figured it out.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back