Overdosed Mg

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week, I miscalculated and severely overdosed Mg. It is up around 1750. I've had my system up for almost a year now. I have not added any corals just yet as I'm trying to master water chemistry and letting the let the system age before adding corals. Is this high of Mg a problem? Right now I am testing Ca and dKH daily. Seems Ca and Alk are dropping daily. I'm dosing BRS 2 part (via Apex DOS) 150 ml every day just to maintain the levels below. That doesn't seem right since I don't have no corals. Does high Mg cause precipitation by chance? FYI - I also have a GHA outbreak.

Ca - 375
Alk - 9.6
mg - 1750
Nitrate - 1
Ph - .01
Sal - 35
pH - 8.2

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited:

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that consumption seems weird with no coral. I dose 50ml/day of CA in 125 gallons with a number of corals that build skeletons. Mg is suppose to prevent CA precipitation. Not sure what is going on.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that consumption seems weird with no coral. I dose 50ml/day of CA in 125 gallons with a number of corals that build skeletons. Mg is suppose to prevent CA precipitation. Not sure what is going on.
Could the GHA be consuming the alk and ca?

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of coraline algae growing?
Any calcifying algae will cause higher consumption.
Not yet. But maybe that is a causation as just last week, I added Algae Barn's purple and pink coralline algae elixir. I do not see anything yet. But could that be it and consuming that much alk and ca already? I have a 70 gallon tank.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. But maybe that is a causation as just last week, I added Algae Barn's purple and pink coralline algae elixir. I do not see anything yet. But could that be it and consuming that much alk and ca already? I have a 70 gallon tank.
I would not imagine so. Is there any reason you are shooting for 9+ alk? With low nutrients I would recommend being closer to 7.5-8.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not imagine so. Is there any reason you are shooting for 9+ alk? With low nutrients I would recommend being closer to 7.5-Tr
Trying to get good at maintaining water chemistry and everything I've read/watched indicates higher alk is good for growing corals. And I have found it easier to maintain pH of 8.2 with higher alk.

Last edited:

Neon_Devil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get good at maintaining water chemistry and everything I've read/watched indicates higher alk is good for growing corals. And I have found it easier to maintain pH of 8.2 with higher alk.
What's your coraline algae growth looking like?

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non-existent. I've tried Algae Barn's elixirs twice with no luck. I recently bought turbo snails who's shells are covered with coraline. I am hoping that spurs growth.

Santervas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tengo altos niveles de magnesio, pero también KH y calcio. El problema que veo es que tienes un calcio muy bajo en comparación con el KH y el magnesio.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tengo altos niveles de magnesio, pero también KH y calcio. El problema que veo es que tienes un calcio muy bajo en comparación con el KH y el magnesio.
The magnesium is coming back down inline with my alk and ca. No ill effects of the hi Mg.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, Stupid me not paying attention to that I was making an obvious dosing correction mistake.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds weird .
no corals , no coralline algae . Why dose ?
There should be very little consumption

unless everything you’re dosing is precipitating out of solution

have you tested a fresh batch of saltwater ?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back