Overfed fish

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, so I tried out an auto feeder this morning because I am going to go out of town for a couple days soon. Well, with no guide for how much, trial and error and all, it dumped a F -TON of food first go round. So my question is, can fish over eat? I ask because one of my percula clowns was fine this morning, and still looks fine, he is just hanging out at the bottom not really wanting to move around much. The white spots you see are on the glass not the fish.

IMG_A75D3CDFFF0F-1.jpeg

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can overeat. But they won't because of that.
I've done that about t times. I did that on an extremee level to fix dinos and usually do it when in refilling my autofeeder.
I'd just turn kn your skimmer so you don't have a nutrient spike.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
think you'll be fine,clown won't overeat,more so how much extra food in tank ?

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can overeat. But they won't because of that.
I've done that about t times. I did that on an extremee level to fix dinos and usually do it when in refilling my autofeeder.
I'd just turn kn your skimmer so you don't have a nutrient spike.
What did you say I should do with the skimmer? I don’t know what kn is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good morning all, so I tried out an auto feeder this morning because I am going to go out of town for a couple days soon. Well, with no guide for how much, trial and error and all, it dumped a F -TON of food first go round. So my question is, can fish over eat? I ask because one of my percula clowns was fine this morning, and still looks fine, he is just hanging out at the bottom not really wanting to move around much. The white spots you see are on the glass not the fish.

IMG_A75D3CDFFF0F-1.jpeg
Fish can overeat but it goes in one end and out the other but at a slow pace. The bigger risk is fouling the water and having an elevation in ammonia and nitrates, often more than filters can keep up with

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can overeat but it goes in one end and out the other but at a slow pace. The bigger risk is fouling the water and having an elevation in ammonia and nitrates, often more than filters can keep up with
Thank you for replying on this. I have good filtration, instantly changed everything to new, as well, I added some extra activated charcoal, my skimmer is probably a bit oversized, as well as my filtration. I do have a very healthy CUC, with quite a few nassarius snails, who of course came out in force when this happened. Do you think I will be okay, or should I perform another water change rather quickly?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, okay yeah it is on, and of course it went CRAZY when this happened, so I dumped the collection cup, and now all looks much better. Thank you for your input here.
Ok glad it'd kn :) mine did the same the couple of times I dumped a bunch of food in.
I've dumped so much in before that the food was like a island just raining on the fish.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok glad it'd kn :) mine did the same the couple of times I dumped a bunch of food in.
I've dumped so much in before that the food was like an island just raining on the fish.
LOL yah it looked like it was raining food for about 15-20 minutes. But luckily I do have a rather hefty CUC.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for replying on this. I have good filtration, instantly changed everything to new, as well, I added some extra activated charcoal, my skimmer is probably a bit oversized, as well as my filtration. I do have a very healthy CUC, with quite a few nassarius snails, who of course came out in force when this happened. Do you think I will be okay, or should I perform another water change rather quickly?
You should be- Most fish feeders have stages or notches for amount that is dumped. Always start low and increase the drum amount as needed, if needed. Check ammonia level in 48 hours and you will know if another water change is warranted

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be- Most fish feeders have stages or notches for amount that is dumped. Always start low and increase the drum amount as needed, if needed. Check ammonia level in 48 hours and you will know if another water change is warranted
Perfect, and thank you again! I will update Sunday when I have tested.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, and thank you again! I will update Sunday when I have tested.
Okay 48 hour up, ammonia is zero, nitrates 19.1, phosphate .17, PH 8.6. ALK was low @ 6.3, so I added some Sea Chem reef buffer, but all in all not bad considering how much food got dumped in. Thank you again for help with this. Everyone in the tank still very happy/healthy.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think your clown is fat, i should show you my female that looks like a opera diva singer in how big of a girth she has around her stomache.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think your clown is fat, i should show you my female that looks like an opera diva singer in how big of a girth she has around her stomache.
No, I don’t think my clown is fat, but my naso tang and foxface are certainly a bit chubby :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back