Overflow Question

ramitrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at this used tank setup and I’ve been out of the hobby for some time so forgive me if this is a stupid question.
This is a Truvue 50 acrylic. As you can it has a sump setup and a protein skimmer. The pump is in the sump. The price is $400 which seems good for everything but I don’t understand the overflow setup in the left corner. I’m more familiar with an overflow that comes up in the corner with slots at the top. How would this work properly? Why would there be a basket type piece so low in the tank? Thanks in advance.

IMG_0055.jpeg IMG_0057.jpeg IMG_0058.jpeg IMG_0056.jpeg IMG_0059.jpeg

Last edited:

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the picture, but if the returnpump shuts off, alle the water in the tank, would go to the sump.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wet dry is only good if your going FWOL.
they are typically sealed, and converting them to a real sump can be a hassle, unless your very good with fabrication / modification.

Seems like the plumbing is under the tank behind the overflow.
IT would help if you took a picture of the tank from the top down... like standing on a chair and taking a picture of it with the canopy off down.

This way we can help you with that kind of drain it has / need... like if its a herbie style or durso. Most likely not a bean as i see only 1 connecting port on the roof of your stand.

The other stuff like a return pump... can you wipe it clean and take a picture of the maker... this can assist us in telling you if we know that pump how reliable it is. But it looks like one of those old external pumps which were built like tanks.

That circle thing with a black cap looks to me like its either a sand bed filter of some form, or can be a diatom filter, or a micron filter.

Can you again take a picture of the silver label i see on it, so we can assist you more accurately.

OP
OP
ramitrano

ramitrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wet dry is only good if your going FWOL.
they are typically sealed, and converting them to a real sump can be a hassle, unless your very good with fabrication / modification.

Seems like the plumbing is under the tank behind the overflow.
IT would help if you took a picture of the tank from the top down... like standing on a chair and taking a picture of it with the canopy off down.

This way we can help you with that kind of drain it has / need... like if its a herbie style or durso. Most likely not a bean as i see only 1 connecting port on the roof of your stand.

The other stuff like a return pump... can you wipe it clean and take a picture of the maker... this can assist us in telling you if we know that pump how reliable it is. But it looks like one of those old external pumps which were built like tanks.

That circle thing with a black cap looks to me like its either a sand bed filter of some form, or can be a diatom filter, or a micron filter.

Can you again take a picture of the silver label i see on it, so we can assist you more accurately.
I haven’t bought it and picked it up yet, I was planning on getting it this week. I’m just trying to understand the setup before I buy it to know whether I should proceed or pass on it.
The person selling it bought it used but never set it up and so he isn’t much help. He stuck with his simple fresh water setup and has no idea on this one.

OP
OP
ramitrano

ramitrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better picture of just the left corner would go a long way.
I agree, I haven’t picked it up yet and the person selling it has never set it up himself and has no clue how anything works so he hasn’t been much help and additional pictures haven’t come over. He ended up sticking with a freshwater set up.
I’m just trying to decide whether I should buy it or pass on it, but I’m just not understanding this filter design and I don’t know what it was used for specifically

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back