Padding & Aquascaping

1fishjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to put styrofoam under the tank, it's acrylic on wood. Also I'd like to know what everyone thinks about leaning rock against the back wall.

Thanks,
Mike

Exodus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In terms of "padding", is it necessary? No, is it recommended? Yes! I have yet to hear of Styrofoam though most people I have seen use a thin rubber mat similar to that of a yoga mat. I know it can be purchased from Home Depot for relatively cheaply. If you can ensure the stand is perfectly level on all sides and center and verify this further inspecting the tank to be so, I wouldn't bother but thats not typically the case, it's normal to find a slight uneven spot.

As for leaning rock on the back wall thats your call, you won't have the same concerns as glass putting extra weight on the seems but there are some things to still consider:
- It will scratch up the acrylic it is leaning against
- Just leaning the rock on the back as a support "doesn't" always provide the best support and their may be stability issues hidden that you might unfortunately find out later, in short if you stack a rock lean it on the back wall and assume its good to go, you might be gluing a coral or adjusting another rock to have it come crashing down.
- Leaning it against the wall makes it difficult if not impossible to get behind it without disturbing the rocks and corals, this may be a concern when trying to clean the tank or remove livestock.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Exodus......also, having rocks against the back wall (or any wall for that matter) limits the ability for water movement behind the rocks. Ideally you want water moving all around (and through) your rock structures.

OP
OP

1fishjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both, that makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna go get that padding now & if everything else goes as planed I should be posting a few pictures by tomorrow evening.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for padding under an aquarium is to help leveling the bottom glass. This is especially important with a rimless tank.

Here is what happens without a pad under a rimless tank.
d87c3fbc51c69f664503b4a36be445db.jpg

An the resulting flood.
66a9bc7e2029e3bc30bd2c108dc0194e.jpg

OP
OP

1fishjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was already convinced but wow that's all I would need. The wife is ready to kill me now, that would seal the deal.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back