Pairing new, young clownfish? Do I have to worry about separating them?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish pairing.. We got our first clownfish a few days ago 1.5”, she’s in a QT. We got the second 1” looks very tiny, we hope to pair tonight. I know the nipping is part of dominance. But I’m afraid of leaving the little one overnight and waking up to a dead fish.

I’m thinking I’ll add a container at least for my own piece of mind. But when they’re both young, any tips to make this a smoother transition? I don’t know if the one is actually nipping or just darting and it’s bedtime.

IMG_1698.jpeg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you see any ripped fins then its time to remove one of them. Otherwise let them work it out on their own

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to check them in the morning, the little one kept following the big one but not fighting back. I figured since both were very young it wouldn’t be too much fuss, but one definitely was asserting dominance.

xunhe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a suitable fish tank partition or isolation box

xunhe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separate the two and put one sea anemone after getting familiar with each other. They can pair up smoothly and become a couple.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At such a small size, there shouldn't be an issue. That said, each clownfish has its own personality and in my experience Ocellaris tend to be a bit meaner and unpredictable than say, Percula. One suggestion is to be careful of quickly turning on/off lighting which can startle them, and a sudden change of appearance can cause aggression.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back