Pale Toadstool

alp5747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi I’ve had this toadstool for over 2 years and it has grown massive probably around 1,5 feet in diameter but the last I would say 4 weeks it has slowly started to turn pale. What could cause this.
Note: the body was around the color of the polyps before the bleaching/paleing
Keep in mind I started going fallow around 2 weeks ago but I don’t think it would pale out of lack nutrient from fish poop.
Second it is about 1 inch off the surface and there is a Radion xr30 mounted around 9 inches of the water, meaning the toadstool could be getting around 600-1000 par but it has been in the same spot for 2 years and was fine 1 month ago.

Parameters are:
Nitrate 1 ppm
Phosphate 0,03 ppm

I am dosing nitrate and ammonia every day

IMG_0557.jpeg

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if its getting ready for shedding or something in the water is stressing it

Since it’s an aged tank, check your pumpsl/tubing and magnets. Maybe something is restricting flow, or there’s something leaking metals into the water. Can be from a crack in a pump, wavemaker, magnets, tubing might have mold? Dosing tubing?
Have you checked your RO is still the right tds and the cartridges still good.

Can you the polyfilter pad to capture toxic metals.

OP
OP
A

alp5747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if its getting ready for shedding or something in the water is stressing it

Since it’s an aged tank, check your pumpsl/tubing and magnets. Maybe something is restricting flow, or there’s something leaking metals into the water. Can be from a crack in a pump, wavemaker, magnets, tubing might have mold? Dosing tubing?
Have you checked your RO is still the right tds and the cartridges still good.

Can you the polyfilter pad to capture toxic metals.
I doubt it to be something with the water chemistry because all my Acropora are doing well and I have around 10 other toadstool that are doing good. the only thing I have changed was going fallow but I think it started before that.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a combination of no fish poop and that strong of lighting. I only keep softies primarily toadstools and devils hand. Toadstools are great at telling you when something is wrong and usually the first coral to respond.

OP
OP
A

alp5747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a combination of no fish poop and that strong of lighting. I only keep softies primarily toadstools and devils hand. Toadstools are great at telling you when something is wrong and usually the first coral to respond.
Then I will try shading it so it gets less light in combination with dosing some powdered food and ghost feeding the tank

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I would try if it were mine. Then watch and see if it starts sloughing off and if you start to see dark spots it’s time to frag it to salvage what you can. I would actually try and frag a small piece and move it lower in tank and that would confirm the lighting issue as long as flow is similar.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back