PAR Map. I think I need more light.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only relay my own personal experience with how weak the 15s are but there are plenty of vids out there showing the comparison and pros and cons of each set up. My research indicates 30s far outperform 15s but at a substantial price point too.
i mean yes if you compare them one to one, there is no doubt there. but theoretically 2 xr15s would be pretty much equal to 1 xr30. looking at the specs

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only relay my own personal experience with how weak the 15s are but there are plenty of vids out there showing the comparison and pros and cons of each set up. My research indicates 30s far outperform 15s but at a substantial price point too.

Keep in mind tank size specs play a key role too.
Get some Uno 2.0s and you’ll have 266W for around the same price as XR15, and with a wider spectrum and 90/120 reflectors included.

Problem solved lol

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean yes if you compare them one to one, there is no doubt there. but theoretically 2 xr15s would be pretty much equal to 1 xr30. looking at the specs
I think the main difference would be due to the closer proximity between the LEDs, which would overlap better on the XR30 compared to 2x XR15s next to each other.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On paper similar but let's say you have a 24 inch deep tank. XR15 lights 1, 2, 3 4, etc... are still only going to penetrate so far due to their watt power. There can be some overlap creating hot spots that generate deeper. The more powerful 30 will always be able to penetrate deeper with less par loss. Plus you would probably have to run the 15s at 100% intensity and the 30s at maybe 60% intensity thus increasing longevity too.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On paper similar but let's say you have a 24 inch deep tank. XR15 lights 1, 2, 3 4, etc... are still only going to penetrate so far due to their watt power. There can be some overlap creating hot spots that generate deeper. The more powerful 30 will always be able to penetrate deeper with less par loss. Plus you would probably have to run the 15s at 100% intensity and the 30s at maybe 60% intensity thus increasing longevity too.
just to entertain the idea right. I have the same tank as a friend of mine, we both run AI lights, I run 4 AI primes and he runs 2 Hydra32s. to achieve a similar par in both tanks, his lights must be mounted way higher above the tank than mine and the power consumption on his lights is a bit higher than mine. if he runs them lower above the tank he gets a major hot spot in the middle where the lights overlap. So I'm just assuming that having more smaller fixtures creates a better spread with lower power consumption due to lower mounting height and therefore less light spill.

I know the lights are different in design but I would think that the same would apply here in some way. If the XR15s were half the wattage of a XR30 like I thought they were. Longevity is a valid point though

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize I'd spark so much discussion. Thanks for contributing all!

I should probably mention that I have a 3D printed diffuser on the bottom of both of these lights. I couldn't stand the so-named "disco" effect. Perhaps I should experiment with the thickness of the diffuser to explore the trade space of diffusion vs PAR effects.

Regarding 2 XR15 vs 1 XR30: I realize that the XR30 has consumes more power (about 13% more), but I'm curious how much difference that makes in the output. I guess it's also worth noting that an XR30 is $1,000, and two XR15s will cost $1,060, and you'll need two mounts, which potentially further increases the cost of the 2 XR15 solution.

I guess the take away for me is, I should've just gotten XR30s in the first place.

Next question is, once I crank up these lights, how do I deal with the all the algae that's going to explode everywhere? Hope my Foxface is hungry? Add a tuxedo urchin? More snails (I only have about a dozen right now)?

Thanks again!
Brett

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably mention that I have a 3D printed diffuser on the bottom of both of these lights. I couldn't stand the so-named "disco" effect. Perhaps I should experiment with the thickness of the diffuser to explore the trade space of diffusion vs PAR effects.
This would definitely impact PAR readings.
Maybe 3D printing a front shade would be a better solution, or purchasing the narrower angle reflectors Ecotech sells as an add-on.

but I'm curious how much difference that makes in the output.
Big enough for you to run them at 50-70 percent and getting enough PAR.

I guess it's also worth noting that an XR30 is $1,000
If you are going on this path, I seriously suggest you to check out the ReeFi Uno 2.0.
One will cost you 480$ + 55$ for a mount, or you can also reuse your current ones with a cheaper (or self printed) adapter.
Not only does it pack way more power and spectrum, but it also comes with both 90 and 120 reeflectors which means you won’t need any additional diffusers or shades to block the light from blinding you.
Seriously - it’s that much better than Ecotech’s offering.

Next question is, once I crank up these lights, how do I deal with the all the algae that's going to explode everywhere?
Lots of CUC. If you think it’s enough, add some more. You’ll be fine.

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tl;dr I need more light, right?

Hi all,
Newb here.

I have a couple corals that are looking a little sad. See this thread for pics of the corals if you're curious.

I had the impression that my tank seemed a little dim, so I got my hands on a PAR meter and took some measurements.

My tank is lit with two XR15G6 Pro lights. Spectrum settings in Mobius:
Point Intensity 100%
UV 100%
Violet 100%
Royal 100%
Blue 100%
Green 30%
Red 30%
Warm White 30%
Cool White 30%

Before, my tank was running at about 60% schedule intensity in Mobius. The PAR numbers at 60% schedule intensity were super low, so I bumped it to 75% schedule intensity yesterday. Today I took measurements at 75% and 100% schedule intensities. I think all the numbers here are low.

In the sand, I have a few corals. I need to move them up on the rocks, but I haven't figured out where I want them yet. And I have commitment issues.

I tried to label the coral that I know, but there are a couple I don't know the identity of. They're both little encrusting corals I think.

Eventually, I figured I'd have some bright light corals up top (maybe an acro or two, but not married to them), a hand full of torches scattered around, and some other colorful, blobby things filling in the rest. I think I need to get another two XR15s at least for that plan.

What do you think?

74 percent.jpg

You ned around 100 at the bottom (50 for lps minimum)
100 percent.jpeg

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would definitely impact PAR readings.
Maybe 3D printing a front shade would be a better solution, or purchasing the narrower angle reflectors Ecotech sells as an add-on.
The problem isn't direct light from the shade, it's the sparkling colors all across the tank as the water ripples. As far as I understand, a diffuser is the best way to remedy that without changing lights.

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going on this path, I seriously suggest you to check out the ReeFi Uno 2.0.
One will cost you 480$ + 55$ for a mount, or you can also reuse your current ones with a cheaper (or self printed) adapter.
Not only does it pack way more power and spectrum, but it also comes with both 90 and 120 reeflectors which means you won’t need any additional diffusers or shades to block the light from blinding you.
Seriously - it’s that much better than Ecotech’s offering.
I'll certainly take a look at those.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem isn't direct light from the shade, it's the sparkling colors all across the tank as the water ripples. As far as I understand, a diffuser is the best way to remedy that without changing lights.
You are correct. I know many used a diffuser in place of a shade and I misread what you said.

It is weird you’re having disco effect though, this problem is usually appearing when you have lenses rather than reflectors.

Are you sure it is in fact disco effect and not shimmer? Some people confuse between the two and use the term interchangeably.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to entertain the idea right. I have the same tank as a friend of mine, we both run AI lights, I run 4 AI primes and he runs 2 Hydra32s. to achieve a similar par in both tanks, his lights must be mounted way higher above the tank than mine and the power consumption on his lights is a bit higher than mine. if he runs them lower above the tank he gets a major hot spot in the middle where the lights overlap. So I'm just assuming that having more smaller fixtures creates a better spread with lower power consumption due to lower mounting height and therefore less light spill.

I know the lights are different in design but I would think that the same would apply here in some way. If the XR15s were half the wattage of a XR30 like I thought they were. Longevity is a valid point though
Not totally sure about power consumption because you have to run the smaller lights at higher intensity then the larger lights so they are consuming at higher rate. Will it equal the big lights? Not sure. As far as overall spread you might get more coverage with 2 small lights versus one large light because there is a gap space in the mounts between the smaller lights but it won't be even and consistent par spread. Even with my 2 lights on standard mounts there are hot spots between them and low par spots on the outer edges. I'm not saying multiple small lights could not work for a variety of applications especially soft and LPS tanks with lower depth number but seeing the OP larger tank, I believe 3 XR30s will far out perform 4 or 6 XR 30s and look better astetetically too.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not totally sure about power consumption because you have to run the smaller lights at higher intensity then the larger lights so they are consuming at higher rate. Will it equal the big lights? Not sure. As far as overall spread you might get more coverage with 2 small lights versus one large light because there is a gap space in the mounts between the smaller lights but it won't be even and consistent par spread. Even with my 2 lights on standard mounts there are hot spots between them and low par spots on the outer edges. I'm not saying multiple small lights could not work for a variety of applications especially soft and LPS tanks with lower depth number but seeing the OP larger tank, I believe 3 XR30s will far out perform 4 or 6 XR 30s and look better astetetically too.
I mean doesnt my tank prove it? Im running 4 primes over a reefer 350, im growing acros, clam on the sandbed and i measured par at 200-250 on the sandbed and 350-400 on the top of my scape

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean doesnt my tank prove it? Im running 4 primes over a reefer 350, im growing acros, clam on the sandbed and i measured par at 200-250 on the sandbed and 350-400 on the top of my scape
Your tank doesn’t run 4 XR15 G6 with a 126deg spread. Not exactly Apples to Apples.

I’m not an expert in light spread and overlapping - but my guess is that the Radion looses so much photons by spreading it this wide that the power required to be able to penetrate anywhere close to what yours are able to achieve, would need to be much higher, let alone with when considering that diffusers were added on top of the already wide spreading degree.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we were discussing XR 15 lights and par so you're comparing apples to oranges but I'm glad your set up works for you. I have the XL300 tank and get by ok with 2 lights also. I get 125 par at the bottom with XR15s at 100% intensity.

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is weird you’re having disco effect though, this problem is usually appearing when you have lenses rather than reflectors.

Are you sure it is in fact disco effect and not shimmer? Some people confuse between the two and use the term interchangeably.
The effect I'm referring to appears to be flashes of light in different colors all around the tank. When I put a difuser on, it went away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back