Paramedics destress tank 72g new to SW

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm Josh, and I am a paramedic in East Tennessee. Ive started this hobby to replace some other bad ones as well as to use it to forget of some of the things that I deal with and see. Also My son of course like all kids loves Finding Nemo.

So I went to a Local Store in Knoxville and Got a setup, sump, stand, sand, lights, rock, live rock, and a couple of starter fish to cycle the tank (per the LFS) which where clowns.

So this is going to be my way of keeping up with my tank and since Im new to the hobby any advise and tips is appreciated. I am constantly now reading and researching and reading more and trolling threads on this forum and such and watching you tube videos. Ive already learned alot and getting more knowledge every day. I'll be posting updates and new videos as often as possible.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling it and setting up on 12/30/15

IMG_4157.JPG

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r and the hobby both are addicting. ..set up looking good ..be careful for when those rocks and sand begin cycling you will have some ammonia and othe spikes in parameters that could be detrimental to those clowns...but wish best of luck and the cycle begins

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dewboy I always heard that I would need to wait a month before adding fish but the LFS said with that size tank and the small size of the clowns they would help cycle the tank. Course like I said I'm new so we shall just have to see how it works. If they pass away, it will suck but It wont be terrible

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dewboy I always heard that I would need to wait a month before adding fish but the LFS said with that size tank and the small size of the clowns they would help cycle the tank. Course like I said I'm new so we shall just have to see how it works. If they pass away, it will suck but It wont be terrible
Throw a Seachem ammonia alert badge on there and grab a bottle Prime. Then when ammonia comes up, you can dose prime to detoxify it. It burns the fishes gills, and is not a pleasant thing for them to die from, especially since it can be avoided relatively easy.

Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/10/15 Water test, everything showing great. I do have a diatom bloom, big one. LFS suggested putting in the clean up crew. Tank is now the home to 3 blue leg hermits; 3 red hermits, 2 Margarete turbo snails, 1 zebra snail, and 1 conchita snail.
However the con snail doesnt seem to be doing much, the crabs and other snails seem to be kicking the diatoms butt chomping away and returning the rocks to their beautiful bright purple color.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/11/15 - Hmmm... found another surprise last night after I rushed down to see if I had won the powerball...Which I Hit the powerball but didn't get any of the other numbers lol.
This little guy freaked me out so now the question is Do I worry or let him be. Ive read conflicting reports and the folks at the LFS seem to differ on the verdict as well. Ive identified him as a bristle worm.. if I am wrong please correct me.
DSCN0993.JPG
DSCN0994.JPG

Jwalker814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tends to be a matter of opinion. Some like bristles some refuse to accept. For the age of ur tank I'd say it's a good sign regardless.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read that they really only feast on dead or dieing materials as well as algae, so they don't seem to be that big of a deal, however the girlfriend thinks its the excuse she needs to get an arrow crab in the tank.

Jwalker814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no success with arrow crabs. Had one that died with 4 legs. Was never able to find out what was attacking him.

However it is cool to see them rip apart a bristle.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice way to start the hobby! Sweet looking set up and good job keeping track of everything!

You should check out the local club scene! I'm Waylon, Secretary of the Volunteer Reef Junkies! We would love to see you at a meeting, if your interested or need help/questions feel free to pm me, check our local club forum here, or give me a ring or text. We've got a good group of folks and have a big year planned out, an would love for you to be a part of it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back