Pay movers to move large tank?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hired a moving company to move my 460 glass tank, and would not do it again. I told them the weight and dimensions, and emphasized that we will need enough bodies, but they still only sent 3 guys. Fortunately I had a couple of friends help and we were able to do it though it was a struggle. In Hind site I would have 7 people over so we had a total of 8 to move it. This would have been much better...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im a big tank person and have 3 times. Both for the manpower and also for them having insurance should something go wrong such as damage.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple question. Has anyone here paid a moving company to move their larger aquarium into thier home or within thier home? Or is the buddy pizza and beer method best? I am looking into a 240g long aquarium (8'x2'x2') and considering all options for moving it.
Yes I did this once. It was the best $200 I ever spent. I watched 5 dudes struggle to move an 800 lbs glass tank down a steep, narrow stairway and smiled the whole time glad I wasn't doing it.

learjet3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my 125 cracked I promptly paid a local saltwater aquarium store with a maintenance truck to bring me a new 150 and set it up. I took the new tank home the same day and did all the plumbing that day. They showed up the next day and removed everything from the 125 and put it in the new tank and filled it full of saltwater from their truck. The old tank went on the front patio. I tried to get them to take it away but no dice. Put it on Facebook for FreeNinetyNine, gone same day. I think it was $400 and it was worth every single penny. I intend to use the same service if/when it needs to happen again and will never even consider doing it myself again.

BJEDVM13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going through the same dilemma. Just ordered a 310 and the LFS quoted me $620 to deliver the tank (15 miles) and place it on the stand in the front room of our house (only 1 step). That seems like a lot to me for the service.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a company that specialized in moving pianos. Most movers won't touch it as soon as they hear its made of glass. For my 8'x3'x3' it took four guys, one guy was built like a tank and carried one side himself and the other three were on the other side.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've called U-Haul several times to help me move. They'll send 2 or 3 guys to help you move into a house, load a truck, etc. They had no problems with a 125 gallon glass tank, several smaller aquariums, and numerous snake cages. I'm not sure, though, how far they'll go as far as size and weight. A 240 gallon is a big job, but based on my experience, if your local U-Haul can get 4-5 men together, they'd probably do it. And their prices are pretty good; I think I tipped the guys more than their total hourly wage when we were finished. I'm not actually sure if they'll come just to move one large object, though (especially if you're not renting any U-Haul equipment), but I'm about to find out as I have a 180 gallon build shipping in perhaps less than 2 months. If they say no, I guess I'll resort to the buddy method.

learjet3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going through the same dilemma. Just ordered a 310 and the LFS quoted me $620 to deliver the tank (15 miles) and place it on the stand in the front room of our house (only 1 step). That seems like a lot to me for the service.

If that includes plumbing it, reefscaping it, and filling it with water and leaving you with a running tank, thats a gift.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES! I found a local place (SE Michigan) which took a few tries as most places would not do it. They just had to move it from the garage to the basement which was a lot harder than it sounds. It cost me about $350 but that meant if they broke it, they paid me for it. If my buddies dropped it, I'm out the money. It took us about 20 minutes to move it (yes, us, because they had 3 guys even though I said 4 would be necessary... so I had to help). Regardless, once it was down there I was happy, the tank was fine, so we cracked some beers and cooled off (very hot day!). Definitely worth it!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brute force and deft planning also require a bioengineer to do the move and not kill things even if not dropped. if nobody has volunteered for relocation without loss certainty I know a guy who wants to do it free only for the online documentation.
he's not a very fun man a bit dry but can move reefs from afar yes.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to find reputable moving company that will take on the job without charge an arm and leg for it. Mainly, the job requires man power. Let say they need a crew of 4-6(In your case, it'll be 4) for maybe an hour job. However, getting them all together and driving back and forth can take up pretty much half day of work and maybe their whole day schedule. These same 4-6 can be moving a whole house and get bigger pay at the end of the day.
I guess my point, moving companies are more focus on bigger jobs than these type of small job but yet it takes their whole crew to do it.
I called several moving company for my recent 84"x34"x28" glass tank but ultimately ended up with 6 friends and coworker and 6 suction cups. The job lasted maybe 30mins.

keephowlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my 750XXL was delivered earlier this year, I really struggled with the idea of having to add another $500+ to the bill to get it moved from my garage to inside my house. So after we built the stand, I had 4 high school guys come over (my wife is a teacher) and with a couple furniture dollies, 4 dual suction cup gadgets, a clear path and a handful of porch steps, we moved it in quickly and easily. The 750XXL isn't 240G, but it is a thick glass heavy beast, as you guys know...

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, ask for their insurance policy in case they damage the tank. When the moving company said they'll do my tank with 4 guys, I knew it was a little on the short side so I asked what happens if the tank is dropped and damaged. They said it's 50cents per lbs!! That was when I told them to take a hike. My tank weighs 800lbs. That's an $8,000 tank for $400 if they damage it.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, ask for their insurance policy in case they damage the tank. When the moving company said they'll do my tank with 4 guys, I knew it was a little on the short side so I asked what happens if the tank is dropped and damaged. They said it's 50cents per lbs!! That was when I told them to take a hike. My tank weighs 800lbs. That's an $8,000 tank for $400 if they damage it.
Exactly. I just did mine myself. Took 7 of us to get it upstairs.

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you get a 300G tank up a stair case if there is not enough room on left/right, only people on bottom/top as it goes up? 4 men with cups was barely able to get it DOWN the stairs. I can't imagine bringing it up? Like a ramp or pulley or something?

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just called a few moving companies to get quotes to move a tank from my driveway to the 1st floor of my house. It will be a 72 x 30 x 21 tank weighting in at about 450 lbs. Both quotes were just under $1000. I have to say i did not expect that.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow up!!
I finally moved my 270g, 84"×30"×24" all glass aquarium with external overflow (see build thread link)

Basically, I called around and asked about moving my tank downstairs thru my walkout basement. In short, most people said no, and others quoted silly prices for a 30 min job. It seemed more like I was hiring friends to help instead of a moving company and hands off. I ended up buying four 8" suction cups for glass and getting 3 friends to help ( four of us total) and I did some planning with dollys/carts and it took maybe 30 mins, including unboxing the aquarium to move it from my garage to my stand in the basement. I had the luxury of doing most of the moving outside and lifting once into the house onto carts, then rolling the aquarium basically up to the stand and lifting up onto the stand. Super easy and glad I didn't pay anyone, but instead planned and figured out the easiest way to move my large aquarium. Not all moves are the same, but in my case planning was more important then hiring someone to move it.

Last edited:

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

• Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Back