Paying it forward. What a great thing to do!

abirozy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joe, that's a good point! Do you happen to know the measurements of that box?

That would mean I could maybe PIF some of my DIY rock ;)

Jackie

There is no way I could fit your rock in my current tank, but just wanted to say from looking at your thread that it is VERY COOL rock. :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately most reactors are inexpensive except for calcium or stirring types. You can get a phosban 150 reactor at amazon for $23

I know I could use an Ato and kalk stirrer.

Joe, If I can set up and figure out how to use my doser I just got and won't need my kalk stirrer anymore, I can help you out with that :)

Jackie

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanna say thank you so much Pete Polyp. We recently had a crash on our tank and lost almost everything we worked so hard on. Since that happened Pete Polyp has been helping us get back into this amazing hobby. He actually sent us a box of corals today to help us out. I am not a person to ask for much, or help. I just wanted to say thank you so much again. I would have never of thought people actually help people out in this hobby and it's not all about the $$ all the time. Again this is an amazing thing to do. And I hope one day I can do the same to someone who has experienced the same things I just went through. Big shot out to everyone paying it forward. .;)

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanna say thank you so much Pete Polyp. We recently had a crash on our tank and lost almost everything we worked so hard on. Since that happened Pete Polyp has been helping us get back into this amazing hobby. He actually sent us a box of corals today to help us out. I am not a person to ask for much, or help. I just wanted to say thank you so much again. I would have never of thought people actually help people out in this hobby and it's not all about the $$ all the time. Again this is an amazing thing to do. And I hope one day I can do the same to someone who has experienced the same things I just went through. Big shot out to everyone paying it forward. .;)

Thank you so much again Pete polyp! Our box just arrived and everything looks great! :) can't wait to see them. We really do appreciate it soooooo much. :) You're awesome!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP !!! Time to jump start this thread again here.... So....... help me pick out a couple more worthy* Reefkeepers to receive a gifted Frag Pack from my system. Looking for people/Reefkeepers with mature enough systems to handle SPS that you feel could really use the 'gift' as it's meant to be. Someone who is active on this Forum and generally positive and friendly with their postings. You can post up any nomination(s) here or even just pm me if you feel that is better. I've already selected Jackie (prsnlty) and would like to add at least two more to the list.

Cheers, Todd

* People who you feel deserve a helping hand or reward for being good for the hobby and our R2R community in general.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooking late to the party, first time seeing the thread and am glad it was bumped. Something I use to be involved in on a long since folded web site was thermos trades. Campbell's soup makes a thermos that fits in the cheap flat rate boxes and is great for shipping small frags. Forgive me if this was mentioned I didn't read the whole thread, 15 pages is past my attention span. The way the other site did it was compiled a list. I start and ship to Polyp Pete who then send a frags to TJ, who sends to joekool and it continues from there. I may even have a thermos laying around here somewhere. It was always zoa trades as they ship better two day. Not sure we would want to do this in the winter, but I'd be down. I am always looking to bank corals somewhere. Give a drag to a friend with the understanding that if mine dies you send a frag back.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP !!! Time to jump start this thread again here.... So....... help me pick out a couple more worthy* Reefkeepers to receive a gifted Frag Pack from my system. Looking for people/Reefkeepers with mature enough systems to handle SPS that you feel could really use the 'gift' as it's meant to be. Someone who is active on this Forum and generally positive and friendly with their postings. You can post up any nomination(s) here or even just pm me if you feel that is better. I've already selected Jackie (prsnlty) and would like to add at least two more to the list.

Cheers, Todd

* People who you feel deserve a helping hand or reward for being good for the hobby and our R2R community in general.
Awesome!!! I'm kinda surprised the thread died like that. Hopefully people have been PIF still.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say how proud and honored I am that Todd picked me, THANKS TODD :D I have tried for 4 years to have a setup able to stay stable for SPS! I really worked my butt off but i wasn't completely alone, i had some good people here on R2R helping me out as well :D

Todd, here are some nammes I'd like to drop for you to consider... Andy (spspirate), Joe (joekool), Heath (Heath.hd), Tigerdragon, and Chris (skinz78) but i don't think his tank is ready yet....

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya glad this thread got a jump start again. I remember in the beginning pages when it took on the PIF.lol we run a program in our club called the DBTC (dont break the chain) which is our local PIF program. Love it. Donated some 40 pieces into it to help new club members have a start. Peeps grow them and pass on 2 frags to complete - than the piece is theirs to keep.
I like the thurmas idea. It would be cool to have a package that could constantly be used to send out the next pif frag and so on. Maybe with a lil sign sheet everyone that has had could sign to see how far it goes over time.

I will 2nd tigerdragon as a recipient. He has not only stepped up here on R2R in posting anything he feels can help someone with their questions but back here at home - he stepped up into our board to help insure we had enough folks to run the club for the year. He is also a part of our dbtc program so understands the pif idea and has been successful in growing pieces out and is now at the point of passing on frags himself to other local club members. His system has been on the up n up and he still has a lot of real estate he needs help with in filling. All around good guy - club supporter and active forum user.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am honored. As drew has mentioned i really believe strongly in the dbtc program i think its a great way to get and share corals. I have some new frags that i have recently made just wanting to give them time to heal before i offer them up

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say how proud and honored I am that Todd picked me, THANKS TODD :D I have tried for 4 years to have a setup able to stay stable for SPS! I really worked my butt off but i wasn't completely alone, i had some good people here on R2R helping me out as well :D

Todd, here are some nammes I'd like to drop for you to consider... Andy (spspirate), Joe (joekool), Heath (Heath.hd), Tigerdragon, and Chris (skinz78) but i don't think his tank is ready yet....
ty jackie and so glad your acros are coming back strong

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, good to see this get some activity again and really like the idea of two nom's @tigerdragon and @Heath.hd in addition to Jackie @prsnlty as recipients of my PIF Corals. So could you three send me address/contact info in a pm please. Also if you could find and include a FedEx hub or hold location if one is nearby to you, this will allow early am pickup without riding around in a COLD truck for hours. I will more than likely send out Corals in mid January but will work around your schedules as I'm mostly retired. I'll have a fair variety of Corals and we can discuss which ones are best suited for and of interest to you.

To All, if you have other nominees or want to share your experience or involvement with any form of 'Pay it Forward' PLEASE DO. I would really like to see this program get rolling again in a big way, it truly is a Win Win for everyone in the Hobby.

Cheers, Todd

P.S. Chris (skinz) is a member of my local club and have already promised him some coral and if Andy wants any he has my #...lol

Last edited:

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know earlier in this thread it was stated that due to obvious circumstances that R2R couldn't put its name on this program. But wondering with that fine print in place as protection to R2R if there is a possibility to get a "PIF" board created where folks involved can start a thread on specific pieces received - so others can watch updates made by the recipient as they grow the pieces out. That is a part of our dbtc program we have here. Its cool because when the piece is received a thread is started for that individual piece with a pic. Than every month or so a new update pic is posted so we can see the progress of the piece and watch it grow. An idea - not to mention could help others stumble upon this program and get involved at their own risk.lol

What about you Todd? Has anyone sent you anything yet?

fagundespavinp3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new reefer a little over a Year now I have been on the receiving side of a Few PIF Frags and it is so awesome to have someone step up and help out with those few additions it has given me the confidence to buy my first frag pack after 6-8 months of waiting. So to see a Site this Big ie...(Reef2Reef) doing something like this, its Awesome!!! keep it up!!! give it a few months when mine Grow Out I will be Putting together some PIF Frag Packs As Well just to Keep the Cycle Going!!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(afamousjohnson) Great idea and I'll see about just starting a "PIF" Club so we can have a place to 'show off' or share the process better in.

And yes I have been on the receiving end of many Coral gifts, and looks like Joe (joekool) will be sending me a coral or two down the road as well. Feel quite fortunate to belong to a very active and generous Reefkeeping community in Western Washington especially my local Club "North Sound Reefers". It is not all selfless ether, meaning that not only are we spreading our favorite Coral around the group when/if something goes horribly wrong within any of our members tanks they/I will be able to get back the exact Coral(s) lost as a start from a surviving colony.

(fagundespavinp3) Thanks for sharing joining in and exactly why this is so important to me and many others here.

Cheers, Todd

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back