PEPPERMINT SHRIMP EGGS?

larrythelobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermint shrimp laid eggs and I guess they hatched ??

I’m just shocked, they are flying all around and there’s a lot of them dying I’m sure..

I don’t know what to do!!

I have a 30 gallon tank, 7-8 weeks in

I have one tailspot Blenny and one neon goby (just some to start off)
2 peppermint shrimps

They look very stressed and are swimming around alot, especially my Blenny! I don’t know what to do or what’s going on? Can this also cause a spike in ammonia??

Pls help so I can take proper action and also maybe save some and give them to my local shop? ):

IMG_3859.jpeg

IMG_3858.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

larrythelobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are swimming around a lot because there is an all you can eat buffet going on.

just let them eat
LMAOO I was thinking the same but still

My Blenny is acting very strange, even went and got himself stuck in the surface skimmer

Idk what’s going on with him or what I can do? Any advice on how to save some shrimp and how it can effect my tank’s parameters

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a dedicated tank and a way to raise rotifers and phyto, you will not be able to raise the shrimp.

it’s not like fw shrimp where you can raise them. These are pelagic fry that float around.

id just chalk it up to the Benny being excited. If he doesn’t calm down in a few hours, I’d be a bit more concerned and post again with a few more details Like a video of the symptoms

OP
OP
L

larrythelobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a dedicated tank and a way to raise rotifers and phyto, you will not be able to raise the shrimp.

it’s not like fw shrimp where you can raise them. These are pelagic fry that float around.

id just chalk it up to the Benny being excited. If he doesn’t calm down in a few hours, I’d be a bit more concerned and post again with a few more details Like a video of the symptoms
I appreciate your help, thank you. Buffet it is

This won’t affect my parameters right? If so I just wanna be prepared to fight it and save my fishes

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This won’t affect my parameters right? If so I just wanna be prepared to fight it and save my fishes
Shouldn’t be a problem with an established tank.

but yours sounds a bit on the new side and on the smaller size.

do you have a refugium?

OP
OP
L

larrythelobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

do you have a refugium?
Canister filter sadly, I do regular water changes tho and try my best to keep it clean. I know religion goes a long way tho, don’t have any as of right now

OP
OP
L

larrythelobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

do you have a refugium?
Canister filter sadly, I do regular water changes tho and try my best to keep it clean. I know religion goes a long way tho,

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome that you have eggs! Unfortunately you are not prepared, so saving them will be hard and for now they are live food for your corals and fish. I dont know what those little shrimp will eat but its probably something "live" and extremely small ( or not ). In freshwater shrimps breed live shrimps and not eggs.

Your aquarium is very young, depending on how you've did the startup and how many filtration you have you could see a spike in ammonia or nitrite until the bacteria population has multiplied again to handle the situation. Or you could get an elevated level in phosphate or nitrate when they die of and not get picked up by either a clean up crew, or removed from the water. But this in turn also has to do with flow...

My suggestion would be to do some reading on water changes and bacteria in new established tanks and the role they play in handling ammonia and what causes them.

To be able to handle these kinds of situations in the future i would suggest an ammonia test kist, some purigen or zeolite.

I also have a blenny, and these fish are super crazy. Mine was also swimming allot on the surface and this made me worry, so what i did was lowering the flow in my reef tank and now he is allot more calm. I dont know if this is a coincidence or not but i do have allot less stress about him jumping out of the tank, haha.

All will probably be fine, just TEST TEST TEST and consider if doing a water change is going to do any good in this stage of your tank.

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome that you have eggs! Unfortunately you are not prepared, so saving them will be hard and for now they are live food for your corals and fish. I dont know what those little shrimp will eat but its probably something "live" and extremely small ( or not ). In freshwater shrimps breed live shrimps and not eggs.

Your aquarium is very young, depending on how you've did the startup and how many filtration you have you could see a spike in ammonia or nitrite until the bacteria population has multiplied again to handle the situation. Or you could get an elevated level in phosphate or nitrate when they die of and not get picked up by either a clean up crew, or removed from the water. But this in turn also has to do with flow...

My suggestion would be to do some reading on water changes and bacteria in new established tanks and the role they play in handling ammonia and what causes them.

To be able to handle these kinds of situations in the future i would suggest an ammonia test kist, some purigen or zeolite.

I also have a blenny, and these fish are super crazy. Mine was also swimming allot on the surface and this made me worry, so what i did was lowering the flow in my reef tank and now he is allot more calm. I dont know if this is a coincidence or not but i do have allot less stress about him jumping out of the tank, haha.

All will probably be fine, just TEST TEST TEST and consider if doing a water change is going to do any good in this stage of your tank.

Oke, i am a fool... this thread is old.. ;)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back