Peroxide Use for killing Green Hair Algae

jk7124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading a bit about using peroxide to kill algae. I decided to take a few of my rocks out and give it a try. I pulled the rocks out and poured the 3% peroxide on the spots of algae, let them sit for a few minutes, rinsed in ro/di water, and returned them to the tank. Two days later they are looking significantly better. One rock I would like to treat has a rose bubble tip anemone attached to it. My question is how do I treat this rock in particular? Will the peroxide kill/hurt the anemone?

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on a strict campaign to promote natural alternates to reef tank nuisances. Get a sea hare. Cover overflow box. Put Screen on pumps. Watch it work. After done, pass on to next reefer.

OP
OP
J

jk7124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered getting the sea hare however I don't really live in an area where passing it on would be feasible.
here is my setup:
28 gallon nano cube (setup is about 8 mo. old)
in the back I have a sponge in the first chamber, chaeto in the second chamber, and a bag of chemi pure elite in the third chamber.
cleanup crew: blue leg hermits, scarlet hermits, various snails
i have 2 clowns and 1 purple firefish that I typically feed a flake food to once a day.
phosphates test at 0 as do nitrates. I have a ro/di unit and only use ro/di water. I use reef crystal salt mix and do a 3 gallon water change weekly. I did test calcium levels and dh levels the other day and they were low.
Any advise how to stop the green hair algae? Should I be feeding something different or less?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a clear way to do it, lift out rock, dont hit the anem, really its just like that. you can apply carefully, with droppers

arresting the spread has benefits, taking control. you can work carefully, dont rush to do all at once, post full pics to get a strategy. doesnt have to be the long term mode.

OP
OP
J

jk7124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping you would chime in on this as much of what I've read has been your threads. do you suggest rinsing the rock or just putting it back into the display?

OP
OP
J

jk7124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping you would chime in on this as much of what I've read has been your threads. do you suggest rinsing the rock or just putting it back into the display?

OP
OP
J

jk7124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 4,023

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me state initially im not advocating reef anarchy

:)

we'll be ok, if your conscience weighs you dont have to repeat and can opt for any number of controls to the side of this option.

all we do is cheat a bit, get some cleanings and a good starting palette to work from, and make predictions how that w go down off a tank pic. thats the crux of those threads lol. you should save this anem spot for the last go, they are sensitive to the p

can you post a full tank pic

also, these threads tend to attract differences in algae treatments and thats perfectly good discourse. there are many GHA tanks that need po4 work. if yours is that kind, this initial kill simply helps speed up things its harmless but we need to plan for work near that anem. the reason to even consider peroxide, imo only, is because it has a sustainment in kill that is better than just physical removal alone.

its nice not to have overwork your po4 controls to be a remover, just the preventative they are.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im at work gimme a sec to respond

that pic is awesome

you w love the outcome

simply externally treat around the anem, literally be creative and get none on him. brief emersion in the air isnt a bid deal, squirt him w saltwater mister if its a concern. either way, your after pics are about to look hot ill link this up to the various threads after.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scrubbing or no scrubbing does not matter. death of that algae in the system is less than daily feedings in terms of mass of waste. so, go ahead and scrub it if you want, or not, we just do the other for after pic effect :) and to see if it doesnt take right at 48 hrs post treatment to be blasted away at least ghost faced white

predictions run those threads you see, they are designed to show how it can be harnessed and doesnt wildly burn things.

ur working with a nano, that accessibility of the rock makes this quite an ideal method. you blast it outside the tank, harming only the algae, and see how bad the gro back is before going po4 crazy. many many times you get weeks, months, off a single go and it indeed is good enough.

if not, po4 methods abound. Whats fun about our approach is the predictability in outcome. rinse well, then the anem has zero contact.
B

OP
OP
J

jk7124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a full tank pic. I'm willing to give it a shot. I had a 90 gal tank years ago and tried all kinds of po4 methods and spent all kinds of $$ to little avail until alas I sold the tank and got out of the hobby. Decided to give it another try at the first of the year and here I am fighting the same battle again. I would obviously like to get to the root of the problem but if this helps the tank to look better until I can do that then I am all in.

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 395

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefmiser gave me permission 5 yrs ago to rip his pics lol this is legal rip n post

hes the one who showed me the method, look how much your tank looks just like his both in size, scape, coverage and fish and lbs of rock its amazing. came instantly to mind

rm1.jpg
rm2.jpg

Reefmiser posted the first before and after pic of algae attack via peroxide id ever seen five yrs ago. since then, thousands collected. we're onto something here but it w take ten more years to show. little repeating patterns are being littered across the web, wants the status quo to start collecting the same before and afters heh.

OP
OP
J

jk7124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hoping for that kind of success eventually with mine. I just did a water change and did part of that rock with the peroxide so we shall see how it goes. I will post pics in a few days.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the most powerful input would be a year from now actually if you might bookmark this bad boy :)

pro or con, if it came back with a revenge or it was decent sustain kill, we wanna know.

its the sustainment that is most in question, formerly the mere safety of use which is now under much better control from people's collective input, like the thread stickied up top here too.

also consider this

peroxide is the only cheat where everyone gauges based on a one off mode

if no 100% sustain in one pass, it was a fail that you didnt affect po4, instant claim.

but for po4 affect, you have to keep buying gfo, or pruning, or export, and does po4 start to work week 1 for everybody? if it did, we'd be out of biz and nobody would be seeking cheats. Po4 control is accepted as an ongoing redo, but for peroxide someone set the bar that repeating occasionally if needed indicated a fail. My point is we have a niche need for safe target options not acting through nutrient channels.

Lysmata shrimp and anems are your critical sensitives, but thats only where contact matters and nanos need not. External treats, clean up under that rock as the bioload tends to run high in nanos.

Considering this mode of treatment could not possibly be more against the grain of today's reef science. It is wholly unaccepted in the establishment but those are the highest bars to reach...who wants a shoe in for a hobby. I read once in 1998 that tiny reefs weren't sustainable due to allelopathy, evaporation, all the respected boundaries of the day.

many people can simply have total control over their tanks w nutrient controls or natural grazer combinations, thats the ideal, strive for it, we seem crazy for having considered alts. But accept no more of this eutrophic state, as its optional from here on out.

I never minded not once someone using a run to clean up a tank and then employ better gfo or po4 work thereafter, we aren't exclusive, fair long term plan there.

totally support any method natural or unnatural that meets a demand, this is simply an option. Use all natural no cheats when possible. When frustrated, this cheat has an edge in predictability we might soon get to test again with good results. In terms of people submitting their own after pics, we are outpacing many of the 'legit' ways of algae control that frankly take too long to get follow ups.

B

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are we looking on this one so far

OP
OP
J

jk7124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Significantly better. Plan on carefully applying peroxide to what is left this week when I do water change.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you x3 for updates and the excellent after pic collected. w link so others can see a peri-anemone application :)

peroxide is a valid tool against hair algae, the #1 assumed nutrient only caused invader. its predictability alone outpaces any known po4 cure, and its safety predictability has been tried in thread after thread where a custom design is repeated across tanks, we are seeing a valid technique for preventing eutrophication in the reef aquarium emerging against a once considered only valid practice (po4 chasing)

its ok to try this technique to find out if it will sustain when the application is easy to undertake. there are some times simply spot killing gives the desired effect.

if this winds up growing back fast, you have a better picture of the real nutrients behind any cause if applicable and so far we havent impacted your tank in any negative way for the trial run. looks nice!

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back