Pet store aquarium setup in a bedroom?

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm somewhat good with simple carpentry and building things out of wood, but if I want to have a professional multiple aquarium setup just as you see in a pet store, how would I go about building a structure like this?

aquarium idea.jpg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably a couple of ways though will depend on tank sizes, filtration, etc. . .

I have made simple aquarium racks out of dimensional lumber and they work just fine. You could use dimensional lumber and dress it up to look like what you have pictured. There may also be a more "traditional" "cabinetry" way of building it. . . I know nothing about making cabinets. Could also use the cinder block and 2X4 method and dress it up.

Here is my old rack.
Hello from Colorado - Introductions & Greetings - C.A.R.E.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a couple of ways though will depend on tank sizes, filtration, etc. . .

I have made simple aquarium racks out of dimensional lumber and they work just fine. You could use dimensional lumber and dress it up to look like what you have pictured. There may also be a more "traditional" "cabinetry" way of building it. . . I know nothing about making cabinets. Could also use the cinder block and 2X4 method and dress it up.

Here is my old rack.
Hello from Colorado - Introductions & Greetings - C.A.R.E.
Genius. Thanks for the suggestion of using cabinetry doors and hinges!

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that you can but should you build that many tanks in the bedroom? Having too many tanks in the bedroom may not be good for you & your inhabitants’ health - humidity, noise, salt water spills, etc. Not squashing your dream swimming with the fishies but the bedroom might not be my first choice. Good luck!

Ef4life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x4s and plywood would be the easiest way, steel shelves would work too, but they might need some reinforcement and I’d replace the shelves with plywood as particle board they usually come with is garbage

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that you can but should you build that many tanks in the bedroom? Having too many tanks in the bedroom may not be good for you & your inhabitants’ health…
+1.. bedroom would be my last choice! I’d guess that my last bedroom tanks were in 1975… never again!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The humidity would be my concern. Doable, but to manage the humidity may make you think twice.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x4s and plywood would be the easiest way, steel shelves would work too, but they might need some reinforcement and I’d replace the shelves with plywood as particle board they usually come with is garbage
I am going to use 2x4 lumber, but how would I determine the maximum weight each shelf can hold?

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My basic frame will look like this:

20210529_174059.jpg.89b14fca5e1b56cca3108669921783a4.jpg

But I will cover the entire sides with plywood and add opening doors on the front. I will then paint it glossy black to look like this:

aquarium idea.jpg

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that you can but should you build that many tanks in the bedroom? Having too many tanks in the bedroom may not be good for you & your inhabitants’ health - humidity, noise, salt water spills, etc. Not squashing your dream swimming with the fishies but the bedroom might not be my first choice. Good luck!
I only plan to have either (4) 10 gallon tanks, or (2-3) 20 gallon long tanks.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it - so I think 40-60g is doable, depending on size of bedroom and if you have good ventilation.

I suppose you want smaller tanks to house different fish? How about one big tank (with dividers) might be easier to vs dealing with small ones. Understand it doesn’t have the desired outcome as your DIY idea.

Good luck and love to see the final product!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use glass (or another well sealed) lids you will significantly reduce humidity. You will then have to worry about gas exchange though.

Ef4life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But I will cover the entire sides with plywood and add opening doors on the front. I will then paint it glossy black to look like this:

aquarium idea.jpg
Sounds like a plan, 2x4 will be plenty strong for anything. But I’d support the horizontal 2x4s from Underneath instead of relying on screws to hold them to the vertical 2x4

More like this - all the weight on the horizontal is supported to the ground

IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2231.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

aquarium idea.jpg
Not the best design given the weight of the tanks is sitting entirely on screws. If they shear you’re looking at a big puddle! This design can work for smaller tanks but still not ideal. Using dados to attach the cross beams will be a safer solution.

That said the design can work (I have used it) but I recommend using quality screws or even bolts (bolts being the stronger options). I used Timberlok screws which are designed to replace lag bolts/screws

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you use glass (or another well sealed) lids you will significantly reduce humidity. You will then have to worry about gas exchange though.
Sheets of corrugated polycarbonate work well for rimmed tanks and can be cut on a table saw. 8’ X 4’ sheets is about $90 at Home Depot and will make a lot of lids.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to use 2x4 lumber, but how would I determine the maximum weight each shelf can hold?
For small tanks 2X3 lumber can also be used. A little cheaper and slightly smaller form factor. Will need to carefully select pieces carefully though as many of the pieces come off the shelf warped (same is true of 2X4s but less so in my experience)

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm somewhat good with simple carpentry and building things out of wood, but if I want to have a professional multiple aquarium setup just as you see in a pet store, how would I go about building a structure like this?

aquarium idea.jpg
This would be pretty neat to do!

Back