Petco Fish?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent from their wholesaler much different than sent from their store. I know they used to use Segrest Farms but not sure these days. I'd be less concerned with from their wholesalers. Did receive two Domino Damsels back around Christmas 2021 that just died this week due to a filter malfunction. No issues and never went through QT since it was for an experimental tank. Wouldn't be concerned getting more from them so long as from their distributor and not from one of their stores. No clue how that particular store is managed.
I worked at a minor chain that used segrest and another supplier. Purchased most of my fish direct as well and all have done great. Hoping for the same results this time.
Does anyone know their DOA policy?
I normally don't qt either. But my gut is telling me to have it available jic. More for observation purposes then any actual treatment.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just got mine two days ago order a hippo tang for like 30 bucks an a couple cardinals an a Dottie back for under 100 bucks they all look good an still alive an nothing weird they came from came from San Diego but the paperwork said New Jersey I thought that was kinda weird but heck I order them and 2 days later they was at my house it went a lot smoother then a lot of other places I order some corals almost a month ago an finally got them today!! I’m not gonna say no names if I pay 30 buck for over nite an have to wait a month!! Come on !!
Thats a great deal. I have always felt Petco charged way to much for Hippo's in store.

Last edited:

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Petco online order last week, overall stuff came in fairly well, 99% sure it came from Quality Marine since the tags were identical to theirs with just the logo removed

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their main supplier is QualityMarine. Supposedly they have a few other vendors for in store orders.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too had to rethink my whole order because the dusky was gone. Ended up with a male and 2 female anthias and a blue side wrasse. Should have gotten more anthias and a clam for that price but had to keep it under 100.
Post pictures of them once you get them and let us know the shape they come in and if you lose any!

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at a minor chain that used segrest and another supplier. Purchased most of my fish direct as well and all have done great. Hoping for the same results this time.
Does anyone know their DOA policy?
I normally don't qt either. But my gut is telling me to have it available jic. More for observation purposes than any actual treatment.
policy is 7 days if you take picture and email and someone has said previously in this thread. So it’s bulletproof of a deal for fish. I just pulled all the copper out of my 20 gal qt for the purple tang coming in this week, and gunna use it for meaty corals in the future once the tang is don’t using it. Just gunna use the 20 gal to observe him and if he eats and is healthy, to the display he goes.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had posted a thread a long time ago asking about buying PetCo fish online before and for the most part they were positive experiences from the few people I talked to. So I’m not worried about ordering from them. Pretty excited to get my cheap fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I posted a picture of a reef tank - from a petco (local) - that was managed from a person who was a member here. I bought fish, etc there - had no problems. It depends on the manager, etc - it's all individual store driven. Now - it's a different question as to whether I would order online from them. IN general - all companies have issues -

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone happen to know what salinity the water is that the fish get shipped in. I always try to match my qt tank salinity to that of new fish.

mbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an order from them last Wednesday. Salinity was on the low side, about 1.020. Everything showed up and stayed alive as well.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the royal gramma—apparently the supplier had had a bad batch and had been holding them. I’m finally able to order a new one, so we’ll have to see how that goes.
Also, has anyone else noticed that the threshold for free shipping has changed? It had been $135, but very recently I noticed it is $175…

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the royal gramma—apparently the supplier had had a bad batch and had been holding them. I’m finally able to order a new one, so we’ll have to see how that goes.
Also, has anyone else noticed that the threshold for free shipping has changed? It had been $135, but very recently I noticed it is $175…
I paid 127 and got free shipping… but my order before the sale was 250 so that could be it

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was finally able to get the replacement royal gramma. While there are many aspects of Petco’s process that I admire, the customer service can be pretty difficult to deal with, mostly because each agent will give a different interpretation of the company’s doa policy.

Perhaps the most frustrating aspect is the refund/replace policy. There are plenty of places I have ordered from who would hold off on replacing the deceased fish in order to ensure they had healthy specimens available, but for petco, the policy is essentially immediately replace, or immediately refund. It thus becomes frustrating when I want a replacement but they won’t do so, forcing me to wait until the sale is over to buy the fish again. It’s not a horrible policy, but is one you should be aware of if taking advantage of this sale. In hindsight, especially given the 7-day window, it would be more wise to refrain from reporting doa until you are 100% certain they have a replacement in stock and are able to replace the dead fish.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
policy is 7 days if you take picture and email and someone has said previously in this thread. So it’s bulletproof of a deal for fish. I just pulled all the copper out of my 20 gal qt for the purple tang coming in this week, and gunna use it for meaty corals in the future once the tang is don’t using it. Just gunna use the 20 gal to observe him and if he eats and is healthy, to the display he goes.
I'd keep the copper in the QT you need it with that Purple Tang. Tangs can get Ich or Velvet if you look at them wrong. Its not a Acanthurus which are the worst for Ich/Velvet. I would not skip copper on tangs. They take copper really well.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep the copper in the QT you need it with that Purple Tang. Tangs can get Ich or Velvet if you look at them wrong. Its not a Acanthurus which are the worst for Ich/Velvet. I would not skip copper on tangs. They take copper really well.
I’ve read sometimes they don’t, but at the same time everyone does stuff different. I don’t have much in the tank cooper wise but before I had 1.5ppm in the tank, so I figure wash it out and once the tang is in slowly ramp it up and keep it up for the 30 day period that vetteguy has said to do. Good plan or attack or what would you differ? Also when do I start adding the copper, once he starts eating or right away?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs take copper well. The problems are if they are already sick before you get them. It's not the copper that's killing them it's what ever issue they are fighting at the same time as the heavy stress from transportation has already weakened them. If you skip it and they do have something, next time they get stressed it more than likely will return and could spread to other fish at that point and you get an outbreak.

It's better to take the risk now and treat them for at minimum 14 days and then into an observation tank for another 14 days. Better off doing 30 days at 2.3ppm coppwe power. Start at 2.0 and ramp up to 2.3-2.5.

I use sandbeds in my qts now. After I found it does not absorb copper well but will still give bio filtration benefits. Sandbeds also help the fish feel more comfortable it seems. The bio filtration helps them a lot. Get pool filter sand from Ace or Home Depot and use that for your sand. It's real cheap and makes it affordable to toss at the end of the 30 day qt. Or you can sterilize the sand in between qt tanks which is what I do.

But for Tangs, if you don't prophalticly treat any other meds like prazi for flukes do the copper for the 14 days. They cary these parasites so easily and can have them and not be symptomatic until they get stressed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back