PetCo Marine Fish

Vassal of Ulmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a metro area in the U.S. with a population of several million. I have several local fish stores, PetCo's, and PetSmart's in the region. I have a couple of questions:

1. It seems obvious that I should choose my LFS over PetCo, but why? (I'm hoping I'll learn something by asking an obvious question.)

2. According to my online research, PetSmart doesn't sell marine fish, while PetCo does. However, the PetCo's in my neighborhood don't have saltwater fish to my knowledge. I haven't checked the PetCo's in neighboring cities in the metro area. Just out of pure curiosity, is it common for Petco managers to decline to stock marine fish in their stores?

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco typically has slightly different setups to hold marine fish vs freshwater. The biggest reasons people dont like petco fish is due to the conditions of some of their store systems, no qt process, and general lack of knowledge from staff. Some stores are great though and do a good job. People also buy online from petco and the fish are shipped direct from one of the largest wholesalers.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, yes. Petco store managers can stock based on local demographics. They might have stocked marine fish at one point, never sold any, and thus, no longer carry.

OP
OP
Vassal of Ulmo

Vassal of Ulmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco typically has slightly different setups to hold marine fish vs freshwater. The biggest reasons people dont like petco fish is due to the conditions of some of their store systems, no qt process, and general lack of knowledge from staff. Some stores are great though and do a good job. People also buy online from petco and the fish are shipped direct from one of the largest wholesalers.
Do they ship directly from LiveAquaria? I used to think of LiveAquaria as just a useful website for basic research, but recently someone pointed out that they're a major wholesaler in this industry.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they ship directly from LiveAquaria? I used to think of LiveAquaria as just a useful website for basic research, but recently someone pointed out that they're a major wholesaler in this industry.
I believe they use quality marine which supplies live aquaria. Unless that has changed

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fish typically ship from Quality Marine. I’m not aware of LiveAquaria being a wholesaler (though I think I read they’re owned by one).

That said, Petco used to own liveaquaria until they sold it.

Also, definitely check other petcos around. Mine in town doesn’t sell SW but the other two in nearby cities do.

Another main reason a lot don’t use Petco is they’d rather support the mom and pop LFS rather than a massive corporation.

OP
OP
Vassal of Ulmo

Vassal of Ulmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, do freshwater-only LFS even exist? I've visited 4 LFS in my metro area (one of which no longer exists), and 3 were both fresh and salty and one appeared to be salty only.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People shy away from Petco due to concerns about the health and quality of the livestock. They do get a lot of their fish from QM (who a ton of LFS also purchase from). Many years ago I had a family friend that was a manager at a Petco, and every so often I’d ask them to get a fish ordered, and I’d be able to pick it up on the day it arrived still inside the QM bag without it ever having touched their tanks. I’d be much more nervous doing anything else.

Anyways, you live in a big city, which means there’s probably a decent reef store around (or several) so why bother with Petco at all!

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, do freshwater-only LFS even exist? I've visited 4 LFS in my metro area (one of which no longer exists), and 3 were both fresh and salty and one appeared to be salty only.
Yes absolutely. There are a few in my area that are fresh only

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another main reason a lot don’t use Petco is they’d rather support the mom and pop LFS rather than a massive corporation.
This.

Some of us remember how the landscape was before the chain stores strongarmed the mom and pops out of business with loss leader sales and a big advertising budget, and in so doing brought down the quality of local offerings.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back