OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat them and keep them in QT especially if you are rehoming them. Yes two of the same Tangs in a tank equals trouble.
I was worried about that. I planed on doing up to 50% water changes in qt daily with my dt water until the time that they possibly get healthy

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40% that’s it !!!! :mad:and obviously the manager was well aware of their condition if they admitted they wish there was more that could do.... sad total neglect and lack of respect for a living breathing thing just to make a sale Hope these tangs pull through you sir are a hero

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat them and keep them in QT especially if you are rehoming them. Yes two of the same Tangs in a tank equals trouble.
How big is the tank?

Hippo can tolerate conspecifics particularly if one is notably larger than the other.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40% that’s it !!!! :mad:and obviously the manager was well aware of their condition if they admitted they wish there was more that could do.... sad total neglect and lack of respect for a living breathing thing just to make a sale Hope these tangs pull through you sir are a hero
Fwiw - she seemed really upset she couldn't do more for them or give me a better discount

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to get at least a 20-gallon for them? I’d just worry managing water quality with two tangs in a 5-gallon tank with medications is going to be extremely difficult...

Personally, I would do the acriflavine bath. With infection already a possibility, it will help slow it down while you take care of the flukes first. While it is possible to mix antibiotics with prazi... it’s not ideal. And triple sulfa is a good antibiotic, but a little harder on the bio-filter.

If you did need to add antibiotics before the prazi treatment is completed, I’d agree with @4FordFamily that the trifecta (kanaplex, metroplex, furan-2) is a safer bet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?

Hippo can tolerate conspecifics particularly if one is notably larger than the other.
It's a 55 (4ft long until my current 2 inch long blue tang outgrows it, when I'll either rehome or upgrade) I also am estimating that I have about 80 to 90 gallons of total capacity and I'm monitoring all the water parameters weekly. The new tang is probably just over an inch

Last edited:

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?

His DT is a 55G, I didn’t want to call the Tang police yet so I recommended against two of the same in that small of a tank.
@Mjrenz you will need a much bigger tank for your Tang btw

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to get at least a 20-gallon for them? I’d just worry managing water quality with two tangs in a 5-gallon tank with medications is going to be extremely difficult...

Personally, I would do the rally bath. With infection already a possibility, it will help slow it down while you take care of the flukes first. While it is possible to mix antibiotics with prazi... it’s not ideal. And triple sulfa is a good antibiotic, but a little harder on the bio-filter.

If you did need to add antibiotics before the prazi treatment is completed, I’d agree with @4FordFamily that the trifecta (kanaplex, metroplex, furan-2) is a safer bet.
I’m guessing it’ll be needed eventually (if not soon) if they pull through, good meds to have on hand :)

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 55 (4ft long until my current 2 inch long blue tang outgrows it, when I'll either rehome or upgrade) I also am estimating that I have about 80 to 90 gallons of total capacity and I'm in monitoring all the water parameters weekly. The new tang is probably just over an inch
A 55 gal won’t work for one long-term, definitely not two. :)

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally, I would do the rally bath. With infection already a possibility, it will help slow it down while you take care of the flukes first. While it is possible to mix antibiotics with prazi... it’s not ideal. And triple sulfa is a good antibiotic, but a little harder on the bio-filter.

My wife will probably file for divorce if I buy two more tanks, I'll top off at least 3 times daily and keep a close eye on things

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife will probably file for divorce if I buy two more tanks, I'll top off at least 3 times daily and keep a close eye on things
Your tank is small enough that two tangs are likely to die of ammonia poisoning. Buy an HOB filter and add lots of biospira as well as an ammonia alert badge and hope for the best.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is small enough that two tangs are likely to die of ammonia poisoning. Buy an HOB filter and add lots of biospira as well as an ammonia alert badge and hope for the best.
I bought another 5 gallon tonight so they are each in their own tank. I have seeded sponge filters in both for now with a 2 port air pump running full tilt. Amazon has the ammonia badges on the way now

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw - she seemed really upset she couldn't do more for them or give me a better discount
She could have wrote them off as DOA & given them to you. I've gotten a cple fish from Petco at 50% from the Dept Manager who i knew pretty good before she moved back north. Don't buy from them anymore. Hope you get them to survive.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back