Petco rescue, two tangs

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby Dory won't cooperate with the camera lately, this is the best pic I can get. She's still doing great. I've been raising the salinity extremely slow, we've only gotten it up to 1.015 so far

20190607_202908.jpg
;Snaphappy Say cheese.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some updates:
I've lost two more fish in qt, my long nose hawk and my golden head goby:(. My scooter blenny hasn't been eating and although the clown was doing a little better she still didn't seem to be handling the copper well so I've taken them out and plan on using cp for them after the second fenbendazole bath is done in a couple hours. I was planning on doing the same for the hawkfish but he didn't make it through the bath today. Any issues with this plan @ngoodermuth?

I also stopped by Fish World today and Joe still hasn't seen the guy with the tank so I went ahead and had him order the 120. So far the things that I need to get for the new tank are a larger return pump, some new bulbs for a 6 bulb T5 fixture I already have in my garage, and a bunch of materials from home depot to build a stand, hood, and to do new plumbing

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth @HotRocks @4FordFamily @Big G, I need to start my clown and scooter blenny on cp and I have a couple questions. They were in copper power at 1.5 and were not doing well so I removed them from the copper yesterday to do a second fenbendazole bath. The clown is doing much better without the copper but I'm not quite sure about the scooter blenny yet. Is there any specific amount of time I should wait between the treatments for recovery or is it ok to just start dosing? I also have noticed that Humble's treatment protocol for cp has changed significantly from what he originally posted on the sticky thread here after reading through his website https://humble.fish/chloroquine-phosphate/

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth @HotRocks @4FordFamily @Big G, I need to start my clown and scooter blenny on cp and I have a couple questions. They were in copper power at 1.5 and were not doing well so I removed them from the copper yesterday to do a second fenbendazole bath. The clown is doing much better without the copper but I'm not quite sure about the scooter blenny yet. Is there any specific amount of time I should wait between the treatments for recovery or is it ok to just start dosing? I also have noticed that Humble's treatment protocol for cp has changed significantly from what he originally posted on the sticky thread here after reading through his website https://humble.fish/chloroquine-phosphate/

Has he been eating so far in QT? The scooter blenny?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He shared that with me, you want CP protocol #2 in this case I think.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He shared that with me, you want CP protocol #2 in this case I think.
I moved the pair of clowns (the female was the only one who would stop eating and act strange when copper was raised) and the scooter blenny to a 5 gallon tank last night but I did add a cycled sponge filter and biospira

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with protocol two. Also, unfortunately mandarins and scooters that are almost exclusively pod feeders rarely make it through QT without pod additions. It’s really hard. I hope it goes well though for you. Good luck!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with protocol two. Also, unfortunately mandarins and scooters that are almost exclusively pod feeders rarely make it through QT without pod additions. It’s really hard. I hope it goes well though for you. Good luck!
I was planning on grabbing some pods from Petco when they open in about 30 minutes, thanks!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good on dory, sad for the others, sorry. Hope you’ve had some time to do other things to keep a good balance. Seems like you are really handling all this great. Sure the little guys all appreciate it.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good on dory, sad for the others, sorry. Hope you’ve had some time to do other things to keep a good balance. Seems like you are really handling all this great. Sure the little guys all appreciate it.
Thank you! Almost all of my free time has been spent on my fish lately. I'm just looking forward to the time when I can enjoy watching them again instead worrying about finding them floating when I wake up

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hasn't been eating

Dragonets are usually pretty resilient to parasites, but not bacterial infections and starvation. So, I would focus on feeding him more than anything... and keep an eye out for white patches. If you see a white spot forming, he will need antibiotics ASAP.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonets are usually pretty resilient to parasites, but not bacterial infections and starvation. So, I would focus on feeding him more than anything... and keep an eye out for white patches. If you see a white spot forming, he will need antibiotics ASAP.
I'm not sure if he's going to make it, I've had him for about a year but he is tiny so it's really hard to tell if he has any white patches or not. I bought some pods yesterday and squirted them right in his face with a pipette and still didn't see him eat. He mostly just sits in one spot on the bottom all day

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if he's going to make it, I've had him for about a year but he is tiny so it's really hard to tell if he has any white patches or not. I bought some pods yesterday and squirted them right in his face with a pipette and still didn't see him eat. He mostly just sits in one spot on the bottom all day

Do you have an extra small QT, that you could pack with live rock? When I was in your shoes, I didn’t even bother treating my dragonet until the very end of my fallow period. I set-up a 20g QT just for her, and packed it with rock and a few bottles of pods. And just focused on keeping her eating and alive.

For the last 14 days, I pulled the rock and added the CP, then transferred her right to my DT. I can’t really say it was the best idea not to observe her after treatment... but it was the best I could come up with to keep her alive at the time.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an extra small QT, that you could pack with live rock? When I was in your shoes, I didn’t even bother treating my dragonet until the very end of my fallow period. I set-up a 20g QT just for her, and packed it with rock and a few bottles of pods. And just focused on keeping her eating and alive.

For the last 14 days, I pulled the rock and added the CP, then transferred her right to my DT. I can’t really say it was the best idea not to observe her after treatment... but it was the best I could come up with to keep her alive at the time.
I have another 5 gallon tank, do you think it would be a bad idea if I went ahead and used rock and pods from my refugium?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another 5 gallon tank, do you think it would be a bad idea if I went ahead and used rock and pods from my refugium?

I did... my mandarin never had symptoms of ich, so I figured starving was the bigger threat. Since she was in her own tank it didn’t hurt to wait, but you have to be EXTRA careful about cross-contamination between the dragonet tank and the other QT/DT.

And, make sure you don’t put the rock right back in your display after. Once you pull it, it will have to go fallow before it can be reused. Or re-cured, depending on your risk aversion ;)

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I did do the bath last night exactly that way. It was for my female Picasso clown and my neon dottyback. The clown seems to be ok now but still breathing a little fast, the dottyback looked especially bad after the bath so I moved him to a separate tank and dropped the salinity and turned down the heater. I just checked on him and unfortunately he didn't make it through the night.
Was the dottyback doing ok before the meds?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 22 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back