OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving me anxiety. I have an IM200g in the garage waiting for me to set it up.

Best of luck with your decision, I am glad it sounds like IM stood by their warranty.
I cannot find another IM 200 tank leak anywhere. I am leaning towards using the IM tank again. I think they are good tanks.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks! Your reef was thriving with those huge colonies too. It's good that you were able to save a lot of the corals and all the fishes. That will make restarting much easier and palatable. You can get a thriving reef back up much faster than if you had a complete wipe.

Not going to lie, if my own tank leaked, I may just throw in the towel. I have just too much invested right now, I don't even know if I could restart emotionally and financially without taking a break and saving up. It's good that at least IM honored their warranty and you got a brand new tank. I would use the replacement IM tank as it's probably just a fluke leak, and it cost you nothing more. Another $10K to get a custom tank, that's hard to swallow.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks! Your reef was thriving with those huge colonies too. It's good that you were able to save a lot of the corals and all the fishes. That will make restarting much easier and palatable. You can get a thriving reef back up much faster than if you had a complete wipe.

Not going to lie, if my own tank leaked, I may just throw in the towel. I have just too much invested right now, I don't even know if I could restart emotionally and financially without taking a break and saving up. It's good that at least IM honored their warranty and you got a brand new tank. I would use the replacement IM tank as it's probably just a fluke leak, and it cost you nothing more. Another $10K to get a custom tank, that's hard to swallow.
The thought of giving up has crossed my mind. Then I walk in the garage and see the fish and corals and it would be hard to see them go. Having been through a leak once before actually helps a little. I just wish the large acros would have survived. It will be another 3-4 years before my new tank looks anything like the old one. Long wait but patience is what is needed in this hobby.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about what happened. This hobby is not for the faint of heart. That being said, this is a stressful thing to read for me as my IM 200 ext shipped this past Friday! I have a bit more wait as it's being shipped to my freight forwarder in Miami to be shipped to the Caribbean. Double chances for issues. The freight forwarder does insure it though so no issues with losing my money. Fingers crossed. Looking forward to your new build. They do seem like great tanks from all I've read so I'm looking forward to starting my own build.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t stress it. If the pallet was damaged then the tank took a hit. Just one of those things. It will be easy to swap everything over using the same tank. Sorry though. Nobody wants to deal with all of that loss.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever went with another tank I would go crystal dynamics. Sorry about the leak brotha! Did you turn it into insurance?
Didn't need to. Caught the leak within minutes. Almost no water on the floor. Rotating towels behind the tank kept up with the leak for the 5 hours it took me to empty the corals, fish, then water. I think I'll give IM another try.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back