Petition to ban anything but flat frag plugs

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol whenever I get home I immediately get a hacksaw, and cut the long tube off the plugs so they sit flat or can be glued flush somewhere hehe. I only cut about 2mm into it then snap it off

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the tradition frag plug over a disc. When I get new corals they go in a frag rack and I like that I can keep them in place with the stem. Plus as already mentioned it isn’t hard to cut the stems off.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They all have their place. When you need to store a ton of corals in an organized and (fairly secure) fashion, it is hard to beat T shaped plugs in a rack. Just for display purposes flat plugs are fine. For gluing I remove the plug all together, T or flat.

In a shallow tank travertine tiles from Home Depot rule supreme!!!

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate the t shaped frag plugs. Really. Anyone else?
I actually hate both! Even with glue my frags keep getting knocked over. But unless my rocks have good holes I hate the t ones more lol

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's good reasons for all methods of frag attachment, and with the right tools it's easy to move between them. Honestly, I'm fine with the t-shaped plugs being the standard - it's easy to modify the t-plugs into discs (or no plugs), but not as easy to go the other way.

Get a pair of strong bone cutters and make them part of your standard process when bringing in new frags. They should be flat on one side and curved on the other. When you're going to mount a frag into your tank, press the flat side against the bottom of the plug, and just cut straight through the stem. Now your T-plug is a disc plug. With a little finesse (or some different tools) you can do the same thing to the disc plugs to remove the plug from the coral, and either attach directly to your rockwork or to a piece of rubble.

T-plugs are also great for side attachment to your rockwork. Use the epoxy-CA glue sandwich method to coat the side of the stem, press it up against the rockwork, and with proper application your frag is now attached firmly to the side of your rockwork.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would like to see, use the traditional T style plug, upside down. Makes gluing the flat disk easier then just the little nub of the T.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to bash on a particular brand, but Reefing Art T plugs are the worst. The material they are made out of is the toughest on the face of the planet. I hate them so much. I've literally chipped stainless steel bone butter blades on them with no impact to the stem. It's nuts.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most corals you can remove from the plug completely, not just removing the stem. A well aimed strike with hammer and chisel while resting them on a soft towel or something for a clean separation dislodging the glue, or cutting the coral of with scalpel or diamond blades. Those options are much easier with a normal frag plug than an irregular one.

The only problem are corals that cover rock like a blanket, in that case it's best to break off the stem, glue them on a rock in a good place even if it looks ugly, letting the coral grow and once it has spread onto the bare rock in a significant manner, breaking off the plug with the original coral segment and selling/gifting it on.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would like to see, use the traditional T style plug, upside down. Makes gluing the flat disk easier then just the little nub of the T.
only thing is when those frags that didn’t sell and start to encrust…Id imagine some funky looking cyprastrea, montis et
I hate to bash on a particular brand, but Reefing Art T plugs are the worst.
Are they the folks that makes that “hard rubber” long pointy frag plugs? The ones you often get ORA frags on…if not then the rubber plugs are close contenders..

Would rather receive coral attached to a piece of rubble

I thought someone was doing this already, surprised it hasn’t caught on

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of frag plugs like the black plastic trays that seedlings in a gardeners market come in. They aren’t necessarily there for the customer, they are there to grow the coral on when propagating. If you don’t like the plug, most of the time the frag can be pried or cut off the plug.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 162 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back