PH probe issues

iamdan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got the code up and running, but my pH circuit seems to have died. I can't get it to show up on an I2C scan ...

I'll try to make a dummy in the code to test this digitally as far as I can, but I'm afraid somebody else would need to test the real thing :(
dang sorry to hear that. What would I need to do to test?

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang sorry to hear that. What would I need to do to test?
Well, I did as much as I could on my end. Works as inteded as far as I can see: every time it hits a communication error, the value in the file is not updated. The service querries the circuit every 3 seconds. So if you make ReefPi take the value from that file very 10 seconds, it will be at worst a few seconds old, but not zero.

I'd be gratefull if you can test the code further, although it is hard to do any kind of debug that way ^^
You can download and install the package as described on my github:
https://github.com/Sral931/pH_service

It currently uses the standard address of Robo-Tank pH circuit, but can be made to use a different address.
Just run the install script, set up the file driver and have a look if the data looks correct and doesn't have zeros anymore.

Last edited:

iamdan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still dropping just installed and activated short while ago

Set to report every 10 secs as you suggested

IMG_0828.jpeg

iamdan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in my instance -0.15 is the current calibration deviation of the probe from the latest time I calibrated it

Last edited:

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in my instance -0.15 is the current calibration deviation of the probe from the latest time I calibrated it
You were using the ph-ezo driver before, right ?
Did you set up the new signal input exactly like I described on the github's Readme-page ?

You would need to set up the new file-driver and connector (Maybe name it "pH_file") as described in the ReadMe-page. You might then be able to switch the signal source of the pH entry in the pH Tab to the new Analog-Input-Connector "pH_file". That way you would not need a new calibration, I hope.

iamdan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct, I followed your instructions to the letter. I setup new file and collector and assigned it to my current ph entry. Also tried new ph entry for giggles. Same thing as in does the same dips

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct, I followed your instructions to the letter. I setup new file and collector and assigned it to my current ph entry. Also tried new ph entry for giggles. Same thing as in does the same dips
Darnit ... that's unfortunate. In my simulated communication failures the data wasn't updated, but I guess that goes to show how much one can handle with theory vs experiment.

I'll think about it. Last resort might be to just ignore any value that is lower than 1.

iamdan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darnit ... that's unfortunate. In my simulated communication failures the data wasn't updated, but I guess that goes to show how much one can handle with theory vs experiment.

I'll think about it. Last resort might be to just ignore any value that is lower than 1.

Happy to run any further variants to try :)

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got the code up and running, but my pH circuit seems to have died. I can't get it to show up on an I2C scan ...

I'll try to make a dummy in the code to test this digitally as far as I can, but I'm afraid somebody else would need to test the real thing :(
I hope that isn't the circuit you got from me? If so let me know so I can get you another one.

This message shows what kind of person @Sral is, still willing to go the extra mile and help someone.

iamdan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good

I was mucking around with GitHub and chatgpt at work today lol and submitted to you a pull request thingymejiggy with the changes that it had advised to make as I am also curious if it got it right

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good

I was mucking around with GitHub and chatgpt at work today lol and submitted to you a pull request thingymejiggy with the changes that it had advised to make as I am also curious if it got it right
I have commented, nice work, but it would not do what you expect it to. A better way would be to use the current Ignore logic and make it work on „value < 1.0“ instead of „value == 0.0“

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back