pH Probe Recommendations & Advice for Reef Keeper

swimmingswammi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had this Reef Keeper Lite sitting around and am setting up the pH Probe. I think I have done fine with the new unit. pH reading above 8.0
Odd though was that while calibrating, the 7.0 fluid scored over 1,000 which is very different from what I saw on a YouTube video at around 230. But in the end it seemed to work except I do not have an accurate cross test method.
But I do have a Reef Keeper 2 I acquired from a retiring reefer that came with two old probes. One was dry that I have been soaking in my tank for two weeks hoping for a resurrection. I thought I got this one to calibrate but the reading is two points lower than on the RKL. So this dried out probe which looks like it is ten years old, appears to have calibrated but is giving an entirely different reading at 6.

The second probe was in a fluid but when I opened that up the smell was somewhat sulfur like and disgusting. This second one I was not able to get to calibrate. The number just jumped all over the place with both the new RKL and the RK2. Anyone want it (blue Pinpoint)?

Any thought would be appreciated. Then for other issues another thread.:wink:

OP
OP
S

swimmingswammi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, i used calibration solution instead of the powder packs. What was also odd to me is that the solutions did not have an expiration date (as I was informed it would have), so I do not know if it was expired. So to calibrate, I let the probe soak in solution 7.0 while it calibrated. Rinse repeat with 10.0. Just want to make sure I am doing it right.

Bubbabobobbrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats all you are supposed to do. Put it in the 7.0 solution and wait for the number on the right to settle and then do the same with the 10.0 solution. When I calibratex mine though the 7.0 solution was down in the lower 200's not anywhere 1000. That is very weird. Maybe you should try it again. Or get another ph probe.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch both pH probes and buy a new one. The ones from BRS are very good probes at a good price point. Probes are not made to last more than 18-24 months, at least not be reliable past that point. I was told this by a lab techie at one of the bigger makers of pH probes. Something to do with electrolysis??? Not to mention, you have one that was stored dry and one that was potentially not stored properly either and both came from another owner. Not worth using imo.

I have since scraped by probes after two years of use. BTW: you have to do a three point calibration if you want accurately calibrate a pH probe. Calibrate with 7 then 10 and then back to 7.

HTH

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back