pH Reading of 7.8 - Not a Reef Tank, Clean Up Crew

Jeff Shaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon saltwater tank with 1 percula clownfish, 1 powder brown tang and 1 blue reef chromis. I have some live rock (and formerly live rock) in the tank but no corals, etc. and live sand on the bottom.

I have 2 questions:
  1. I have a pH reading of 7.8 using an API test kit....should I adjust this up and if so, how?
  2. I'm considering investing in a "clean up crew", any suggestions for my tank config?
FYI, I don't know what my KH reading is at the moment but I have a test kit coming in the mail this week to find out.

I've seen some complicated suggestions on adjusting pH for reef tanks (running tubing for outside air, etc.) but nothing specific to my config.

Let me know if I left something out and thanks in advance for the help!

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People worry too much about p.h. mine is the same as yours and have no problems. Some people try to adjust with baking soda and other pH additives. It's a pain keeping up with the baking soda and additives can increase the pH so fast it will kill your fish. I learned from experience the hard way, it's best to just leave it alone.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH is also at 7.8. It has been that way for 3.5 years. Texas holey rock can help or kalkwasser, however the latter takes a higher degree of husbandry. I am going with the kalk through the ATO I have when I get the money for a kalk stirrer.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're within the safe range. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back