PH/SPS Help

DFason

Nano Box Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Lately I have been noticing that some of my stonys/LPS have been looking a little odd. They dont have burned tips but the base looks like it is almost receding. My ALK is 8.5-9 and calcium is 420-430. Could this be something to do with the PH? At night most of the corals look like they should with polyps WAY out but my icefire, Red Planet and Duncan look a little odd. Lately the Red Planet has been looking the most blah and its been this way for 2-3 weeks. The really weird part is its still growing great but certain areas look like this. Here's the best picture I could take.

Any help would be great.

IMG_3978-vi.jpg

-Dave

OP
OP
D

DFason

Nano Box Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested and its at 8.2 during the day. I need to test it tonight for a nightly PH.

-Dave

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't u dosing with MB7 and Vodka with the stones ? Imho don't think it's ph related. Anything nearby that could cause comptetition stinging ? I have a hollywood stunner show sweepers (these long strings with balls on the end )tearing up a rose milli. I have a few acro's that I have personally seen them do this too.

OP
OP
D

DFason

Nano Box Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Nothing around it to sting it.

Could this also be something with lighting? My bulbs are getting around 8-9 months.

-Dave

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO Lighting wouldn't be a factor with the Duncan's behavior and your color looks good .

Last edited:

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ph is swinging really low it may have something to do with it, but I doubt it. If you are vodka dosing and running ULN system you need to be sure you are feeding your tank enough so the fish are keeping enough food for the coral in the water column. A ULN system puts a lot of emphasis on adding back while you are stripping the water of phos. and nitrates you need to feed fish so they are feeding corals and make sure you are doing plenty of water changes to add trace elements back.

I am also running a ULN system with zeovit, and for a long time I was feeding minimally and things looked great. After a while I started losing color in my sps and the determination made by me and some people I consulted with was I was stripping my water too much and not feeding enough. I started doing my water changes on a strict schedule and feeding more and the difference is amazing.

This may not help you but I hope it does.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back