Philips Coral Care has landed and we've got the data for how we would use it! | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like my Orpheks a lot but the bracing on the new tanks leave 3, 22 inch sections so the Phillips will fit perfectly. I also will be using two 150cm bars. With a mixed reef, placement may be more critical than before but not really concerned.

ah makes sense. I keep crocea and maxima clams on the bottom of the tank and like to keep them around 300 par, so no coralcare for me. Can’t wait to hear how these do for you!

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess someone is going to have to explain to me why LED fixtures are so expensive. My enthusiasm dropped when I found out they were $900 for a 2x2 area of coverage. That is a $2k investment for an average sized 100G tank. Phillips is no newbie to light fixtures and understanding par and spectrum. They clearly have the engineering expertise to get it done. Yet a common commercial LED fixture for your house costs under $50. I know all the arguments... small market, small community etc etc. IMO, if we want to continue to be a small community, the way to do it is to make a common tank (100G) cost over $5k without the corrals and fish. Sorry to be the old curmudgeon that is always complaining. I spent about $1k for my 5 AI Prime HDs. They have their limitations, but they have a lot more flexibility than the two dials for color and intensity. I guess my last negative comment would be that they don't look sufficient for a SPS tank. At 100% intensity you showed that only the middle of the tank was in the right PAR range. This would lead me to question why one would buy this over an Ecotech fixture that is comparably priced but provides more control and higher par levels. Maybe I need to change my picture to an old curmudgeon.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like reading Dana's articles as well. That said, I do enjoy the BRS videos. Their testing methods are similar (not sure who came first!). The main challenge is that every reef is different based on the rock structures that are created.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess someone is going to have to explain to me why LED fixtures are so expensive. My enthusiasm dropped when I found out they were $900 for a 2x2 area of coverage. That is a $2k investment for an average sized 100G tank. Phillips is no newbie to light fixtures and understanding par and spectrum. They clearly have the engineering expertise to get it done. Yet a common commercial LED fixture for your house costs under $50. I know all the arguments... small market, small community etc etc. IMO, if we want to continue to be a small community, the way to do it is to make a common tank (100G) cost over $5k without the corrals and fish. Sorry to be the old curmudgeon that is always complaining. I spent about $1k for my 5 AI Prime HDs. They have their limitations, but they have a lot more flexibility than the two dials for color and intensity. I guess my last negative comment would be that they don't look sufficient for a SPS tank. At 100% intensity you showed that only the middle of the tank was in the right PAR range. This would lead me to question why one would buy this over an Ecotech fixture that is comparably priced but provides more control and higher par levels. Maybe I need to change my picture to an old curmudgeon.

What isn’t expensive in this hobby! ATI 24” 8bulb t5 is 660 plus 160 in bulbs for total of $820 and then of course paying that 160 every year give or take. 5 year cost of almost 1500.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like reading Dana's articles as well. That said, I do enjoy the BRS videos. Their testing methods are similar (not sure who came first!). The main challenge is that every reef is different based on the rock structures that are created.
Agree and that is why I am going to prioritize flow and water chemistry vs lighting on the new build.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish every major review video on LEDs would start by saying what brand of LED is in the fixture.
There is a major difference in the PAR and Longevity of LEDs depending on the brand.

U

User1

View Badges
They have their limitations, but they have a lot more flexibility than the two dials for color and intensity. I guess my last negative comment would be that they don't look sufficient for a SPS tank.

What are you basing this on? The test results?

BRS is consistent with their tests and methodology. However, to report based on the data that the results favor soft and mixed / lps dominated reefs is a mistake. A lot of people don't know but there is a gen 1 of these lights that are very popular over in Europe. They are growing SPS without a hitch. In fact search on this forum for Terren's tank (Gilroy something or other) and let me know what you think. He has SPS frags growing out of the water using the Gen 1's.

There is more going on than just a par value. It is a reference to start with for sure. Also note that while the light may be 800 or so starting look at what it would cost to buy a similar watt light. For example a Kessil a360x is what, 90 watts? The Philips is 170? So you would be buying 2 x a360x for 1 Philips about the same cost. For example.

This light is sufficient for SPS and any form of reefing as is a Gen 5 radion, Kessil, or other if designed properly. This is a solid product. If i didn't have 4 a360x's I'd buy them just for the passive cooling and integrated power supply (less power bricks on the floor or mounting).

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish every major review video on LEDs would start by saying what brand of LED is in the fixture.
There is a major difference in the PAR and Longevity of LEDs depending on the brand.
CoralCare Gen2 LEDs Used:

• 12x Luxeon C 470nm
  • 22x Luxeon C 450nm
  • 4x Luxeon C PC-Amber
  • 4x Luxeon C Cyan (490nm)
  • 6x Luxeon UV U1 415nm
  • 20x Luxeon V2 6500k

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralCare Gen2 LEDs Used:

• 12x Luxeon C 470nm
  • 22x Luxeon C 450nm
  • 4x Luxeon C PC-Amber
  • 4x Luxeon C Cyan (490nm)
  • 6x Luxeon UV U1 415nm
  • 20x Luxeon V2 6500k
Thanks.
I am not very familiar with Luxeon but the specs indicate that they are very good LEDs but still seem to be about 20% less powerful at the same current versus Cree LED's in any given wavelength.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You may want to rewatch the first 3 minutes of the video, it has a PAR well within SPS range over the entire tested surface. Philips just didn't design it around an 'American' colortemperature but around a 'European' colortemperature. So when you deviate from that you also lose performance, certainly when compared to a light designed around that 'American' colortemperature. And the two dial system is saving you money, as it prevents you from being ably to kill your corals by creating the wrong type of light as human eyes are bad at judging spectrum. And it certainly grows SPS, this tank used to run on gen1 and now on gen2 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-w-vreeswijk.232851/post-7974357

U

User1

View Badges
@saf1 What is the PAR on the Gen 1?

I do not know really. I do not own one. Apologies if it made it sound like I do. They didn't gain a lot of traction in the US but as I said very popular over in Europe. They are big. Industrial size and strength :).

As I noted Terence of Neptune has them over his display and it is an amazing tank. I think he has great reefing skills anyway so maybe the light isn't the game changer per say. However, he does use them I recall. Build thread below (just as a reference of a user with them).

I also think BRS did a video on them a while back. Not to make an excuse for not having them but I also do not really pay attention. Part of the reason is that that the really good reviews of par, spectrum, and its respected impact on coral health go over my head. Sometimes reading them makes me feel like a complete idiot (I probably am anyway but it adds fuel to the fire). @Dana Riddle has some really amazing articles that go on to explain spectrum and par and pur and the studies he did while in Hawaii. What I find really amazing of his work is that he provides the information and does his best to leave his bias hat off. Meaning he has no vested interested or sponsor to worry about.

Also not knocking the test. I think it provides a good data set to look at. I just have a different opinion on trying to box the light to a respected reef bio-type. Any light for that matter. I also believe that they are trying to be un-biased.

Here is the Gilroy thread. Grab some garlic ice cream and enjoy - nice tank regardless of light. Again apologies if I don't have the answer for you.

Found the Gen 1 BRS for size and par reference.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saf1 thanks. I honestly was just wondering the difference. I agree one can get too hung up on high PAR but wondered if the PAR has gone down with Gen 2 as you were comparing a relatively low PAR for SPS (Gen 2) to a tank running Gen 1's kind of inferring that it's enough PAR.

U

User1

View Badges
@saf1 thanks. I honestly was just wondering the difference. I agree one can get too hung up on high PAR but wondered if the PAR has gone down with Gen 2 as you were comparing a relatively low PAR for SPS (Gen 2) to a tank running Gen 1's kind of inferring that it's enough PAR.

That is actually a very great question comparing gen 1 to 2. In fact I do not believe I've seen anyone in the US mention that. That could be because they don't have gen 1 or never thought to ask the question like you did. And you are right - I mentioned the tank in Gilroy being SPS with gen 1's so I should have maybe noted that. I don't think I've heard him mention if he is considering upgrading. I'll have to see if I can catch him on the skimmate podcast and ask. Would be interesting.

Hope all is well.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually a very great question comparing gen 1 to 2. In fact I do not believe I've seen anyone in the US mention that. That could be because they don't have gen 1 or never thought to ask the question like you did. And you are right - I mentioned the tank in Gilroy being SPS with gen 1's so I should have maybe noted that. I don't think I've heard him mention if he is considering upgrading. I'll have to see if I can catch him on the skimmate podcast and ask. Would be interesting.

Hope all is well.

I'd be curious. Many of us use extra bars these days too of course that add PAR and I notice he does have ReefBrite XHO's too. I don't know on those but some bars can give off quite a bit of PAR.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back