Philips CoralCare Gen 2 First look.

Koen Vervaeke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's going to delay the launch at all. The lights they are testing are prototypes from an earlier batch. We also have a buffer between delivery and launch day that, heaven forbid, could be used to remedy a situation last-minute. I am hearing our wholesale customers have reserved a lot of the first shipment already, so that's promising! I am eager to find out which segments of the market will be early adopters. Some guesses:
  • Coral propagation operations where they can hang the IP65-rated lights right above the water.
  • Hobbyists with canopies so the lights can be secured and concealed.
  • Hobbyists with large aquariums need half the number of fixtures when using CoralCare. One could easily save hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
  • Hobbyists who like peace of mind and just want it to work. The spectrum is basically dummy-proof. You can pick the perfect look without worrying whether your corals are getting the right light.
  • Zoos, aquariums, museums, laboratories and anywhere else that requires UL Listed life support systems.
  • Hobbyists burned by brands with noisy fans, buggy apps, bulky power bricks, and breakdowns from salt creep and saltwater.
  • Consumers who have confidence in the 100+ year old Philips brand and the CoralCare's industry best 24-month warranty.
  • LED holdouts still running T5 that are finally ready make the switch because of this study.
  • Coral collectors who want to color-coordinate their white aquarium cabinet with white light fixtures.
  • Hobbyists who are tired of walled gardens and want to connect their lights to a third-party aquarium controller like the HYDROS Control 4, Neptune Systems Apex, or GHL ProfiLux.
Did I miss anyone?

You have to reset your expectations. There has never been a light like this for comparison. The CoralCare is in a class of its own. It doesn't want to be your next LED light. It wants to be your next T5.
If I am not mistaken, there some open spots on the diffuser glass to create a few stronger point light sources so that also those shimmer lovers get their precious :) .

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Philips is backing the CoralCare Gen2 lights with an industry-leading 2-year warranty. Warranty claims in North America will be handled by CoralVue, but Philips will be inspecting any light that is returned. There is a reason the company's been around for over 100 years!

As a token of our appreciation for supporting innovation in the hobby, we will be offering an incentive to early adopters who pre-order. More details will be announced in the weeks ahead (we literally got this approved yesterday), but as of now, it's looking like all of the major online players will carry the lights. So you should have options!
Be nice if the price point on these were affordable.
People look at $850-$900 fixtures and just say to hell with it. I'll make a cheaper import work and still have $ left over for other equipment.

U

User1

View Badges
Be nice if the price point on these were affordable.
People look at $850-$900 fixtures and just say to hell with it. I'll make a cheaper import work and still have $ left over for other equipment.

Maybe. Then again people pay that or more for a fish or coral frag. It is an expensive hobby there is no doubt. Does it need to be I really don't know. Quality products be it pump, aquarium, skimmers, and lights to name a few are pretty important. It is why I usually recommend laying out the budget first then adjust the size of the tank and supporting equipment to it.

It isn't uncommon once the dust settles to see our aquarium base costing as much if not more to say a kitchen remodel.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Maybe. Then again people pay that or more for a fish or coral frag. It is an expensive hobby there is no doubt. Does it need to be I really don't know. Quality products be it pump, aquarium, skimmers, and lights to name a few are pretty important. It is why I usually recommend laying out the budget first then adjust the size of the tank and supporting equipment to it.

It isn't uncommon once the dust settles to see our aquarium base costing as much if not more to say a kitchen remodel.
I know that. It just seems like each new thing is just a little bit more than then next.
And using the "Quality" label is just a tired argument for a "Premium" price, IMO.

This isn't my first go around in this hobby so it's not like the prices are shocking to me.
I've been reading about the 2nd gen Phillips light coming out and am excited to see how they stack up.
I still am.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It is an expensive hobby there is no doubt.

It is.
Maybe I'm just depressed only having $12 in my checking account, seeing something I want is not in the budget this month.
The light looks sexy as hell and the thought of just needing 2 led fixtures over my mixed reef is so appealing.

U

User1

View Badges
It is.
Maybe I'm just depressed only having $12 in my checking account, seeing something I want is not in the budget this month.
The light looks sexy as hell and the thought of just needing 2 led fixtures over my mixed reef is so appealing.

I think the light has potential. The passive heat sink for cooling is attractive as is the power supply design. I like the idea of no brick laying on the floor and just a plug. Lots of things to like about it. Does that mean it will be better than others? No, probably not. It will come down to a personal preference and budget in the end. For most of us anyway.

It is one of those things that I'd honestly like to sit down and talk about with the more knowledgeable people like @Dana Riddle over coffee, beer, or dinner. Just shooting the s h!t about lighting and what works with options. We have plenty and a lot of the common sense facts get lost in the translation.

Nothing to be depressed over. Your amazing and have a great day!

zoocentre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, I can not connect the screens by wifi, either by the app or by the PC, and if I have a wifi controller heheheh

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Based on user experience tests with aquaria depths up to 1m / 39.37"/po:

• Surface coverage SPS reef: 80x60cm / 31.50 x 23.62"/po
  • Surface coverage LPS reef: 90x70cm / 35.43 x 27.56"/po
  • Surface coverage mixed reef: 100x80cm / 39.37 x 31.50"/po
  • Minimum distance between fixture and water surface: 15cm / 5.91"/po

I will continue to update this thread so follow along if you're interested. Reefkpr.

My tank is 60x30x30 - looks like 2 would work, mainly SPS? Does anyone have PAR readings at 30" deep?

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like we have been going through big led lighting announcements in this hobby for almost 20 years now. New and improved over and over again. Endlessly. Wake me up to buy some when everyone considers these as boring and well known as t5 or mh.

:)

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw the brs test. Really not impressive, deceptive for this price. Not a bad light but radion and others perform much better.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
belief vs facts... Many people think their beliefs are reality and even when you give them fact not believe it. It is why marketing and politics works so well

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
belief vs facts... Many people think their beliefs are reality and even when you give them fact not believe it. It is why marketing and politics works so well

I purchased 4 of them to see how they compare to the 5 G5 XR30’s I’m currently running. I’ll see how they work out

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those people that prefer a more blue look with just a little white light, so would hate to have a light that couldn't put out powerful blues. The part I looked forward to most about these lights were the lack of fans since the fans on my lights are the loudest part of my display. Maybe I'll just wait and see if they come out with a "blue" version in a few years after enough people ask for it. I like white look for FO, but blue for coral. ohh well, still look like very nice lights, just not for me right now.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those people that prefer a more blue look with just a little white light, so would hate to have a light that couldn't put out powerful blues. The part I looked forward to most about these lights were the lack of fans since the fans on my lights are the loudest part of my display. Maybe I'll just wait and see if they come out with a "blue" version in a few years after enough people ask for it. I like white look for FO, but blue for coral. ohh well, still look like very nice lights, just not for me right now.
Exactly why I am adding blue plus bars.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back