phospahate control

sarajo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check this out, I've been trying to get phosphate down for some time now I've used biopellets for about a year, used gfo sometimes not when I was using biopellets, decieded to stop using everything and bang phos has fallen to .03. makes you wonder if any of this stuff works or just made to make ya spend more money

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of it depends on their proper use. GFO chemically binds with phosphate, it's simple chemistry. You may actually have more phosphate now, but it could be bound by algae. Have you noticed any algae growth since you took them offline?

CJ

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few other things to consider- have you changed anything else? Foods, frequency or amount of feeding, changed test kits? Taken out any rock? It could be something as simple as your tank being more mature now.

I don't know what your previous readings were, but it could just be the testing. the phophate tests aren't all that accurate. I think that most test kits say that they are accurate to within 0.05 ppm.

Or, maybe you're on to something :)

CJ

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check this out, I've been trying to get phosphate down for some time now I've used biopellets for about a year, used gfo sometimes not when I was using biopellets, decieded to stop using everything and bang phos has fallen to .03. makes you wonder if any of this stuff works or just made to make ya spend more money

Some media will release phosphates back into the aquarium as well, which is why some reefers only run G.F.O. or other media for a week or so to not let this happen. Just a thought.

OP
OP
S

sarajo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using a hanna meter( the older one not the new handheld) Its just weird the harder I fought it the more it stayed around now just using basically using the same old protein skimmer I've always used down goes the phosphate, feeding the same if not more than I used to, tank is a little over 2 years old, phos would get as high as .10 when i was dosing vodka, now no vodka no gfo and this week its .03 lol

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you having any issues from the detected phosphate or is it just showing up on the tests and making you nervous?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you having any issues from the detected phosphate or is it just showing up on the tests and making you nervous?

I think that it's neither. He's just wondering whether GFO and biopellets are just another snake oil that is supposed to help phosphates but doesn't. Personally, I think that GFO is great for controlling phosphates. I haven't made up my mind on biopellets yet.

sarajo- do you make your RO/DI (or salt water) or buy it?

CJ

OP
OP
S

sarajo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make ro di with 3 di chambers with color changing resin so I know when to rotate them.
I thinking now after worrying about phosphate don't worry about and it just goes away,lol

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, I'd say don't worry about it unless its causing problems in your tank. But I wouldn't go too crazy, keep doing the things are you, and think about the problem that phosphates "could" bring. Once they start creating a problem, its no fun. haha

hypnoj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no algea for months

Forget the Hanna checker and it's reading. If you don't have algae, then you don't have a phosphate problem. The algae will be your marker from now on. My guess is, now that you've stopped the "snake oil" you're probably gonna get an increase in algae.

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, all those things prevent a tank from becoming a self sustaining microcosm. You ever see those tanks that never do water changes and still have nice acros? yeah. I never used those things and if I have algae growth or the colors on my acros seem a lil off, increase water change % and add a carbon bag or feed less, skim wetter, BAM!! gone.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back