Phytoplankton and NoPox dosing

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm just looking for some input on dosing Phytoplankton alongside NoPox (N03-P04-X) each day?
Trying to simplify my routine before I go on vacation so its easier for the interim caretakers.

I don't think it would be an issue to dose at the same time but I'm just looking some reassurance.
Or if you have any experience with either additives I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance.

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you will have issues if you are doing “dead” phyto just coral food lots of phosphates in it

My understanding is live phyto can consume phosphates so if you are running nitrates and phos close to zero I would wait till after vacation to start dosing them so you can test every 3-5 days for two or three weeks

OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you will have issues if you are doing “dead” phyto just coral food lots of phosphates in it

My understanding is live phyto can consume phosphates so if you are running nitrates and phos close to zero I would wait till after vacation to start dosing them so you can test every 3-5 days for two or three weeks
The phyto is live.. So should I end the NoPox dosing until I get back? I don't leave for another month.

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just suggesting if your tank is running well and you are going on vacation wait to change anything until you get back.

also wanted to me too I have read live phyto can consume phos which is what the bacteria nopox grows does as well

if you bottom out phos to to totally undetectable levels (when you feed food it will always comeback then be consumed) either you will stop reducing nitrate due to lack of phos or slow coral growth)

since you are already using a phosphate reducer it may be best to be available to watch it as apposed to doing it when out of town

OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have no problems with levels with live it’s just best practice to monitor after changes to tank routines.
Great Info! Thanks a ton! Ill keep an eye on the levels closely until I leave. I've previously been dosing NoPox but the phyto is new. I may slow NoPox if the phyto is reducing Nitrate and Phos levels. Apparently it's better for the corals but I'm not sure at this point ha.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know what size micron sock/filter roll will pull out excess phytoplankton. Must depend on species of phyto. RS says you can leave skimmer on when dosing NOPOX but I bet s good skimmer can suck that stuff right out. My theory on feeding corals or anything by that matter: “Feed heavy so everything gets fed then remove everything uneaten. “

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 91 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%

Back