Pineapple sponges? How to reduce

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few months these things have been growing wildly in my sump. Tank has been up for approximately 7 months. They are mostly in the sump but I have noticed a few growing on the underside of the rocks in DT. I cleaned most of them out of the sump chambers but it is difficult to get in between the rollers in my trigger systems sump to clean them out. Any way to reduce these? Or should I just leave them be? Not sure what’s causing it. I use rodi water off a well and last parameters were as follows:
Phosphate: .06ppm
Nitrate: 2.0ppm
Nitrite: .032ppm
pH: 8.2
Alk: 8dkh
Calc: 445ppm
Mag: 1380ppm
Ammonia: 0

Are they fine as long as I keep them clear of return pump? I’m slightly worried about them stopping the fleece roller from rolling or the float valve from triggering.

IMG_1002.jpeg IMG_1003.jpeg

OP
OP
bhanko

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered an ICP test to get a good read on silicates. Not sure if this can be the cause but worth a shot.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd clean areas near where you're worried. They wont just float off, but can grow in unwanted places at that rate.

I never had that many pineapples. So, I'm not sure if they'll ever grow in a pump and clog things.

They've grown on the outside of my equipment, never in the mechanical parts. If that makes sense.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk much. But i get them also. Just don’t clean your entire sump all at once. That’s when my tank started giving me issues. I’ll leave them. Just brush off the sensors for your ato and the probes now and then. Roller mat should be fine. It’s always moving.

OP
OP
bhanko

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk much. But i get them also. Just don’t clean your entire sump all at once. That’s when my tank started giving me issues. I’ll leave them. Just brush off the sensors for your ato and the probes now and then. Roller mat should be fine. It’s always moving.
Thanks for the advice, I have to change out the roller tomorrow so I’ll be sure to clean the float sensors off while doing it.

OP
OP
bhanko

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they harmful in any way? Other than unsightly and a possible risk to mechanical functions?
Everything I’ve read, I don’t believe so. Just unsightly and could stop some sensors from working properly if left unchecked

OP
OP
bhanko

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. Anyone know what the cause could be. I think I read somewhere that it could be silicates which I’ll test for with the triton icp and go from there. Any advice appreciated

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Usually they only brew up in new tanks, some live in cryptic zones, sumps are favored as theres lots of slow moving food to catch.

That's really abundant amount. So, i guess that could be silicates and phosphates?

OP
OP
bhanko

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the raised phosphates. I just recently fought an intense cyano outbreak and have still not been able to run my skimmer without it overflowing (working on a valve for the airflow) I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated with icp results especially for silicates.

OP
OP
bhanko

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope your icp gives you all the answers you need. I love sponges, but seeing that many
Im now curious what im lacking....

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few months these things have been growing wildly in my sump. Tank has been up for approximately 7 months. They are mostly in the sump but I have noticed a few growing on the underside of the rocks in DT. I cleaned most of them out of the sump chambers but it is difficult to get in between the rollers in my trigger systems sump to clean them out. Any way to reduce these? Or should I just leave them be? Not sure what’s causing it. I use rodi water off a well and last parameters were as follows:
Phosphate: .06ppm
Nitrate: 2.0ppm
Nitrite: .032ppm
pH: 8.2
Alk: 8dkh
Calc: 445ppm
Mag: 1380ppm
Ammonia: 0

Are they fine as long as I keep them clear of return pump? I’m slightly worried about them stopping the fleece roller from rolling or the float valve from triggering.

IMG_1002.jpeg IMG_1003.jpeg
Have you tested the silicate level in your RODI?

saltienewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot, but I had a bunch in my sump around the 6 month mark. They just kinda disappeared over time. I still have an few on the under side of rocks in the dispaly, but the sump ones disappeared after a month.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the raised phosphates. I just recently fought an intense cyano outbreak and have still not been able to run my skimmer without it overflowing (working on a valve for the airflow) I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated with icp results especially for silicates.
Where do you see elevated phosphate?? IMO, your phos and nitrates are too low...

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they harmful in any way? Other than unsightly and a possible risk to mechanical functions?
I'd ask basically the same question -- why are they a problem for "you"?
*to me they're free, natural filtration at worst, unless they're causing some issues (mechanically or cosmetically)

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timely thread, just cleaned my sump out today. Had just as many pineapple sponges as the OP. Tank is 3.5 years old and the pineapples started growing like mad about 6 months ago. After decades in this hobby I know they will likely go away and something else will pop up, maybe good, maybe bad.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back