OP
OP
VJM 21

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do anything to those fish except put them in a real tank. They hate to be out in the open and hate PVC pipes even more as they are very un natural. That Gecko Gobi also. I have 2 of them and have never seen them yet except for a split second when I feed them. All of those fish just need a safe, secure, real tank.
That is the reason 99.0% of fish don't eat and croak just after we get them. If you feel you really need to put them somewhere besides your tank, at least put some real rock in there and some sand. Even in a PVC pipe they don't feel safe because they want rough surfaces where another fish can't come in there and eat them.
But what do I know?

Good luck to all of you. I hope they all make it. :cool:
Thanks for the advice, Paul. I read one of your articles last week - very interesting theories.

BTW, I think you’re referring to the little clownfish I have in there. It does look like the goby you mentioned in that pic.

I’ve been leaning towards stress as the major factor in what’s up with this fish as well, but I’m paranoid about internal worms with wrasses as well.

OP
OP
VJM 21

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are notorious for flukes and internal parasites. It's best to assume all new wrasse have them and treat in QT to remove. I like to use API General Cure as it has parazi and metro in one dose. I let the fish settle in QT for a week and observe. I usually have a small piece or two of live rock in there for cover instead of PVC. If I don't see anything emergent in the first week, then go thru the treatment with GC. After that the fish is usually observed for a week and added to the display, unless I see signs of internal parasites after the GC. Then I would treat food with metro and focus for 10 days.
Thanks. I have another tank (an old 28 gallon biocube) that I use for observation. It’s a little more natural looking, with a large chunk of live rock and at least a container of sand for burrowing wrasses. I have a fish in there right now that’s going to a friend this weekend. I might move the pink in there after that fish is gone to de-worm him.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VJM21. I realize a lot of people are paranoid of a lot of things but I feel we give our fish these problems and diseases. Otherwise why do my fish "never" get them? I have been keeping wrasses since Al Gore invented them and I have never had a problem with internal worms. If they have them, they must pass out some way because wrasses seem to live forever.
Quarantine, Prizapro, fresh water dips, Nitrofuracin, LSD etc are all stressful to a fish. Heck, it's stressful just for me to write it.
I still stand by what I said. Put that fish into a real tank and go out to dinner.
I say those treatments will kill him. But I hope I am wrong and he outlives Nancy Pelosi :rolleyes:

Back