Please do a review/ article on the massive amount of red sea tank failures for the last five years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a serious impact to the hobby. Red Sea refuses to discuss it on their Facebook page

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders: you have the pull to get Red Sea to comment on the matter, that’s the #1 thing they won’t do.

Red Sea should at least comment for once on policy for seam break follow up care (everyone who appeals to rs for seam replacement gets to pays lots of money as a take it or leave it offer, statements show)

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

serious pattern

Last edited:

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen red sea issues in here, and when I was looking for a new tank red sea came up but then I remembered about all the leaking issues going on so it was a HARD pass and went with another company.

I'm speculating here and assume it's been an ongoing thing?

Honestly if I had their tank for a few years and the seam busted out and they didn't do anything about it except offer a tiny discount, just to make an up sale, that's pretty sad.

Like I said I'm assuming and not 100% sure what's up but if a company deleted posts on FB about the issue I'd be reaching out to some of the highly reputable YouTube channel reviewers and be seeing if they can put the word out there. Ahem #BRSInvestigates

I'd be pretty disappointed myself if I bought a tank and it popped a seam and would lose my bleeping mind over the issue with customer service, and if they didn't do anything about it, there would be war! But then again if it's an older tank personally I wouldn't even want to deal with the headache and just reseal the entire tank myself which isn't hard to do and with a little bit of patience it can be just as clean or cleaner of a seal then what comes out off the assembly line.

Heck back in the day when I'd get a new tank, the first thing I would do after getting the tank drilled would be cutting out the silicone bead without separating the glass and just reglue it. That way I had peace of mind that I wouldn't have any issues down the road.

But in this day and age when you buy an expensive tank you would expect a company to stand behind the product, in all honesty if a company charges $1,000 for a tank, how much do you think it cost them to build? I guarantee you it wouldn't be very much.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the rate of occurrence speaks for itself now. I’m telling this team, as a forum trend watcher 24x7 logged in for twenty two years, a pattern has emerged and it’s serious. This is a new, brand new fail among a mix of new and old fails.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only there was a source of info that contacted thousands and thousands of readers simultaneously about pressing matters in reefing

that source could be vital in giving out remediation information, preemptively

such as:

-what kind of stand is needed
-what kind of padding underneath the tank is beneficial if any
-weekly inspection trending
-techniques for quick hospital tank procedure + skip cycle transfer techniques, how these owners can quickly and without warning best relocate livestock should the need arise
-should bracing be preemptively applied in some way

maybe the source could discern in some way a safe producer of tanks to skip cycle into, what’s the current best quality tank etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is relaying new broken seam examples false info or inference

its not my tank breaking, am noticing it in others at a high rate of occurrence, curious to know how many we will see over the next ten days for example...future examples

would you claim it’s a low rate occurrence, or insignificant among tank break patterns we can find

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is new, not old.

is a pattern unfolding or not

it took fourteen minutes for a new example to pop up

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders: you have the pull to get Red Sea to comment on the matter, that’s the #1 thing they won’t do.

Red Sea should at least comment for once on policy for seam break follow up care (everyone who appeals to rs for seam replacement gets to pays lots of money as a take it or leave it offer, statements show)

Brandon, you are seeking accountability in a society that refuses to be held accountable.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One the oddest trends I recall seeing

Cant figure out how/why they are grouping together in this succession, oddest thing

something like the glue chemistry is failing in oddly linked timing

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everybody knows you hate red sea... Take the lack of responses as a sign.

I don't hate Red Sea; I own many of their products. I don't own a Red Sea tank. But the problem is interesting and I too would like to know what Red Sea has to say about this. Right now, it looks like they are hoping everything will go away.

"Nothing to see here... these aren't the droids you're looking for."

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats the simple issue. Simply give buyers advice on prevention, intercept, remediation, pay for the shipping on all replacements promptly if they meet the right conditions such as primary owner/ within timeframe of warranty or specified time

*If these are dangerous to own second hand, say that. Disclose that part right up front.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ninjamyst @fullinfusion

I would like to know your opinions on these questions:

if you were in control of this thread, would you delete it? remove it from readership 100%?

what is your tank on new/upcoming seam breaks not posted here yet, but per trending are going to be posted within the next few days/hours?

let's say you were willing to discuss publicly the rate of seam breaks, how would you guide the discussion if you had sole control over what people typed on the matter?

at what point does it become serious enough that current owners of tanks not in distress need warnings or preemptive action? I take from your line of thought we're not at that pressing red level yet.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted yesterday

paulgriffin971

I am dealing with this exact same issue right now--on 2 Red Sea Reefer tanks at the exact same time. And NONE of this is fraudulent--I've documented, have videos, and pictured stuff until my phone was battery dead at least 5 times now just to prove EXACTLY what's happened and when.

One tank is a RS 250 that I purchased just under 3 years ago. The other is a RS 625 XXL that I bought in September of 2020. The tanks aren't the only issue. It's also the REEFLED's that loose wifi and go off on some random schedule, as well that the power bricks that overheat to the point you can't even touch them, but I digress.

For being sold in so many stores, you would THINK Red Sea would be more apt to quality control, design, and testing before flooding the market with aquariums that SHOULD last 5-10-20 years. My Oceanic 90 gallon lasted 2 moves and 12 years, so something is up with these RS tanks.

I'm at the point of starting a class action so if anyone wants to join me let me know. My YT links are at the bottom of this post, but for those who want read about this journey, here's a little history on what has happened to me up until today:

1. Purchased a RS-170 max in 2018. Absolutely flawless tank. Never had an issue. Came as a kit with a AI Hydra 26 and mounting arm. When I say never had an issue, I mean NEVER. I simply out grew the tank, so went with the slightly larger 65 gallon RS-250 that had a sump.

2. A few months after I bought the 250, I pulled the trigger on a RS-625XXL that was on sale locally. It was supposedly the upgraded version that came with this new design of a metal brace to support the front of the cabinet between the two left-handed-most doors. I went with RS because of the success I had with the little 170, and--until that point--the 250. I was also impressed with the 3 year warranty.

3. In 2022 I started smelling a strange plastic smell in my living room where the 625 is located and couldn't trace it. Finally, I opened the door to equipment side and the ReefLed 90's power bricks were scalding hot to the point I could hardly touch them. I contacted RS and let them know, and they sent me new power bricks. New one's still got hot,but not quite as hot, so I figured problem solved.

4. From 2022 to 2023 I dealt with constant wifi connectivity issues with the ReefLed's. They would come un-grouped and totally forget what schedule I had programmed. I'd un-install, re-install, and then re-program--over, and over, and over again. Finally I found a couple used Kessil AP700's, installed those, and put the RS 90's aside. Haven't had a lighting issue since.

3. Earlier this year-- 2023, the silicone sections that held the sump dividers on the RS625 came away from the sides and caused my skimmer to overflow and my ATO float to go bonkers. I contacted RS, and they sent me a replacement sump. I asked about getting an upgraded sump (based on their new design and materials) so that I could buy their new ReefMat 1200 and not have to cut the silicone, but they said the newer sumps weren't capatible, and that they stopped making the 625XXL. About a week later, I got the replacement sump, had to take all my equipment apart, and then re-install the new one. But I was able to install a new ReefMat 1200 while the repalcement sump was out. Happy with he replacement and the RM1200, and went on with life. So far, so good---so I thought....

4. On April 21, 2023 at 7pm PDT, this past Friday, I was sitting in my recliner eating a sandwich and heard what I thought was a mountain stream on the TV show I was watching. But--I was watching Bing Bang Theory; No streams there.... It sounding like something was leaking but I didn't see anything with the 625 that was directly across from me in my chair, so I hit the TV mute button. Then I realized it was coming frrom behind me in my dining room were the Reefer 250 was. I got up, turned around and the bottom front glass was spraying water like one of those little bird-bath-peeing-boy-angels. I mean----like a steady stream. Grabbed a bucket and scrambled around for the next 5-6 hours with buckets, mop, rubbermaid tub, and towels. Made sure to grab my phone too--for documenting the damage, the equipment failure, and the pain and suffering I had to deal with. Both for future litigation and for a potential homeowners claim.

5. At about 10:30 PM I finally had all the salt water mopped up, the tank, cabinet, and equipment all moved outside, the live rock placed into a rubbermaid, and started to really evaluate the damage. During the process of dealing with he 250, I thought, "OH crap, if this is happening on my 250 tank, what about my big 625 with my close to $20,000 worth of corals and fish??!!!

6. Low and behold, I looked at my 625 and sure enough the bottom silicone was separating in the EXACT same area as everyone else's is having the issue, and in the EXACT SAME place where the 250 silicone failed on mine. It wasn't quite leaking yet, but you could see the silicone had about 10% to go before it below the front glass pane out and I would have close to 150 gallons of saltwater and bacteria on my hardwood flooring. I was LIVID! But--I had the PROOF and I had it all on VIDEO and ALL documented since this journey to Red Sea hell commenced.

7. I went the the place where I had purchased the tanks and was told only Red Sea can deal with your issues. OK, that's cool the LFS didn't do anything wrong. So, I contacted Red Sea and asked them what they intended to do. I informed them that I wanted one of their reps to come to my home and see the tanks for themselves and to negotiate a settlement on how they were going to make me whole. If I was in business this is EXACTLY what I would do--spend $2000 on airline ticket to come to a customers home or business and see EXACTLY what has happened to TWO of the tanks my company manufactured. Or better yet, make a few stops around the country where SEVERAL of my company's tanks were failing to get to the bottom of what's going on.

8. On Monday April 24 I got a response from RS to the effect of, "We're sorry, we can't find your proof of purchase. Please send it to us. (I should emphasize here that even though you have to upload your proof of purchase, serial number, address, and email in order to get the 12 month extended warranty for a total of 3 years, they wanted me to send it to them AGAIN to prove that I in fact bought the tank) "Also, please start a separate claim on the 625 and if it's going to fail, drain it." I'm like--drain it? And put it where? And what about my $20K worth of corals, fish and equipment? Do I just go buy another tank and then you all send me a replacement in 2-3 weeks that is based on the EXACT same design and material flaws as those that failed with the tanks I have now? The same tanks that aren't even 3 years old that are blowing out? Have got to be kidding me....

And this is where I sit today. One tank blew out and one on the way to blowing out.

Like I said, as far as I'm concerned a class-action is coming because this company KNOWS of the material issues with their tanks and they KEEP sending out tanks based on the EXACT SAME design flaw that is readily known by both them and the public. As a matter of fact, RS had to upgrade the cabinets on the 600 and 700 series tanks with that little cabinet brace, had several tank failures across their larger tank lines, and then came out with Reefer G2's and the far superior tank bracing--even some with METAL cabinets and euro bracing. But guess what? They completely discontinued the 625 and 700 series tanks all together. Coincidence? And why is it that their tanks all seem to fail right around that 2.5 to 3 year mark of the warranty period? Yet another coincidence?

I'm sorry and I know I blew your thread up, but I am beyond ticked. Like I said a class action is coming, so if any of you would be interested in pursuing one with me, let me know. I'm in CA where we have some pretty stringent consumer laws pertaining to companies that sell faulty and similarly dangerous equipment. Could a person be maimed or killed by a 165- gallon glass aquarium made with faulty materials, means, and methods blowing out while said person tried to perform the simple task of looking at their fish and coral. I would venture to say yes......

Anyway, you all can follow along on my journey with these tanks on my youtube channel here:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back